Playing tourist in Melbourne or The joys of train n tram travel or Spending a month in Melbourne in 1 day.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 21st 2013
Published: February 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We decided to hop on the 80 wheeler at South Geelong and spend the day in Melbourne. The trip in was a pleasant hour, on a very clean comfortable and on schedule train. (so different to Nsw).

On arriving at Southern Cross Station, and being overwhelmed at the size, we found a very helpfull, english speaking chap, at the transport info office, who supplied us with maps and advice. Armed with this info, we trammed it to St. Kilda beach and strolled along the esplanade, for a very pleasant hour or so.We were amazed at how clean the whole place was, the city, tram lines, everything. The trees and numerous parks were all very healthy looking.

The 'old fashioned' tram that did the city circle supplied a running commentary of the points of interest. All in all a very enjoyable day, with lots of tram photos. Unfortunatley, we are still trying to work out how to put these on the blog. See facebook for photos.

After a big day walking/touristing, one of us had poppy naps on the train home, returning at 5.30pm.

Geelong has a population of 157,700 including the suburbs, and most of these seem to drive past our camp every night......

Advertisement



21st February 2013

Funny thing about Melbourne
You know I have friends from Melbourne who love coming to Sydney because it' so modern and cosmopolitan. I feel the same as you about Melbourne. Maybe the other mans grass IS greener. Shame about the noisy campsite. We stayed in Geelong at either the Riverview or the Riverglen and really enjoyed it. Have to agree about Melbourne transport though, it smashes NSW.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb