The Australian Open - In June


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
August 24th 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post


Melbourne in June is not warm. Nor is it dry. It is therefore a credit to the city that it is nonetheless a wonderful place to be.

G & B have slipped into the path of happy Melburnians. In autumn and winter they both give the patriotic cry “Go Saints”, proving they are truly of the city, and can deal with the barbs that go with supporting a team programmed for consistent failure. They also know that disappointment in football is compensated by the delights of decent coffee the likes of which Starbucks could only dream of. Sitting in Pelegrini’s, savouring the smell of fresh pasta and Vitoria coffee, one can see a photo on the wall of Kevin Sheedy holding a Richmond Premiership Cup – proof that anything is possible.

And in the parks, in true egalitarian style, ducks and water fowl that think they’re ducks tread confidently on land they know they have as much right to as little humans. That allows for interesting interactions - words, chirps and gestures are exchanged in a meaningless but animated dialogue of the deaf between children and birds. Nonetheless, it is entertaining to watch.

Melbourne's grizzly winter weather also breeds book readers, and G & B are no different - other than the fact that they can't read. However, they scan a good story, and enlist the human version of audio books - their mum - to ensure they don't miss a detail. How else can one explain Byron's encyclopaedic knowledge of Harold the Helicopter, or Georgia's Shakespearean-like recitation of "Hairy McClary".

In true Melbourne fashion, G & B have their favourite pizza bar, and they go there to chat with Greg and Roberto and feast on Frisbee-like food. They dine, and Simone pays - a practice they inherited from their father.

And unknown to most people, G rounded winter off with a stunning performance at the June version of the Australian Open. She raced through the qualifiers, and when the other children had to go home, dominated the court in a truly singles final that featured only a single player. It was a fitting end to her first tennis lesson.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

It looks like sunshine ...It looks like sunshine ...
It looks like sunshine ...

... but its Melbourne


Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb