Asia Diary - Day 2 - Melbourne to KL


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 25th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Got to the airport in plenty of time, shopped in all the duty free without buying anything to get the free samples of Hazelnut Bailey’s (at 9:00am). She was obviously on to us, because she came back and said, “Do you want to finish off the last one?”
Got a weird seat on the plane. It was the first row where the window seats turn from a row of 3 to a row of 2, so I had this big empty spot next to me for leg stretching, organising junk, putting things out of the way for the stewards to pick up and not getting knocked by everyone walking past you in the aisle!
Tried watching stuff on the laptop, but the headphone sharer halves the volume and made it a bit hard to follow. So read stuff and slept instead. Nads didn’t have a fit or anything – woo hoo!
Taxi driver thought it was a good idea to travel at 130 in an 80 zone in heavy rain, tailgating with traction control off. Made me use the “Allah” strap quite a bit. Luckily we put Nadine in front who’s used to that sort of thing. Although even she was stomping on the passenger brake every now and again.
Went to the local food court for tea in Times Square, where we had mini woks and waffles. Saw disgusting black eggs things sitting in a rice cooker in a smingy brown sauce.
Walking around later, getting hassled by street hawkers (mostly for restaurants – can’t you see that we’ve eaten!), saw our first lady boy (Well I think so, didn’t go the Belle check) and many fish spas.
Went to the supermarket where most things are much cheaper, some things are the equivalent in RMB as they would be in AUS, others are about the same price (like mouthwash and some lollies). Bought 3 Tiger’s and then we went to the Piano bar in the Hotel and paid 5 times that amount for a beer (4.55 compared to 21 + 6% tax and 10% service charge). Felt obliged to have one of my cheap ones back in the hotel room, watching a very interesting doco about the Apollo programme, but Nads was tired and I had to turn it off.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb