Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
May 7th 2006
Published: May 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

KangarooKangarooKangaroo

Me and Skippy
We've been in Melbourne for a few days now, and first impressions have been that its just like England, you wouldn't realise you were in Australia if you didn't know it. It's a lot busier than Perth, and a much older city, reminds me of London a bit, and unfortunately the weather is just like England, cold and wet so far 😞 but apart from that it seems cool, the hostel is well nice, and we've even been able to watch some English TV out here, watched some Faulty Towers yesterday!

On Friday night we went down the MCG (melbourne cricket ground) with a few people from the hostel, which is where they held the commonwealth games earlier this year, to watch another AFL match: Melbourne v Geelong. This weekend is rival weekend, so its all the local derbys which made things more exciting. We decided to support Geelong, and it was a really tense match, but in the end they lost 87-81.

Yesterday we just went and had a look around the city and ended up spending a bit of money in the AFL store, which had some of the most rediculous stuff ever, e.g. doorbells which would
MCGMCGMCG

The Melbourne Cricket Ground after the Demons v Cats game
play each footy teams song when you pressed it! We also got to have a look around the Rod Laver complex, where the Australian Open is held every year, the security around these places is so relaxed, we would never be able to look around stadiums in England!

.....................................................................................................................................................

7th May:

Pretty knackered today, because i only had about 3 or 4 hours sleep last night. Last night we were aiming to just go to the cinema, but somehow ended up at a really posh hotel/casino complex, where there was a big crowd of people, so we decided to go and check it out, and it happened to be the national aussie tv awards, and we managed to catch a glimpse of a load of famous people (most of which we didn't recognise, but there were a few of the cast of neighbours, and Lleyton Hewitt!) We then had a quick look around the casino, where we managed to get a whole meal for only $2 (only about 80p!) We then went back to watch the last premiership games of the season, luckily Spurs didn't manage to hold onto 4th spot!

.....................................................................................................................................................

9th May
Melbourne at nightMelbourne at nightMelbourne at night

A view from the river

Just got in from our day trip out to Phillip Island which was an amazing experience. Phillip island is a tiny island off the south coast of Victoria - about 2 hours from Melbourne, and its where all of Australia's penguins live. Everyday at sunset, at one particular beach, literally hundreds of tiny penguins (about 35cm tall) come out of the sea to make their way back up to their nests. It's apparantly one of Oz's biggest tourist attractions, and today there were about a thousand people up in the stands waiting in excitement for these penguins, to just appear out of nowhere, it was a very sureal experience. We couldn't get any photos unfortunately, as there is a camera ban on the beach (they scare the penguins).

On our way to the island we also visited a small wildlife park (can't remember the name) where we got to hand feed kangaroo's, which were really tame, even got to see a few joey's!


Photos coming soon, so keep checking back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



9th May 2006

loving the picture
10th May 2006

Bring one home!
Love the pictures of the joey's Josh, or should that be, joshies Joe?!M,H and F would be very happy with one for the garden if you could manage to keep it still in your pocket on the journey home!You may know by now that Leeds UFC have made it to the dizzy heights of Cardiff on 21st May. Max owes me for the rest of his life as I queued today in Aussie weather( honestly! ) for 9 and a half hours!!!!!!!! This was to purchase membership for me and then two tickets with coach travel for the two of us for a little trip across the border! Much love, the LUFC Emmotts.
13th May 2006

Jealous!
Josh Sounds like you're having a brilliant time! Here it's FA Cup Final Day today; reckon Liverpol 2 Hammers 1 but we shall see. Already have my ticket for Cardiff next Sunday, Leeds v Watford in Play-final. Apparently Rooney is progressing v well, but I'm pleased that Walcott has been called up;shows a bit of imagination and risk from Sven. Keep enjoying yourselves. Matthew

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb