TD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
April 5th 2006
Published: April 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Saturday. Grim. Minimal response. Finally ended at Telstra Dome where thousands of footy fans walked past and only a handful got stickers. One guy got seven. At least, at least 30,000 people saw the design.
Sunday. Couldn't face streets of Melbourne again. Went to Williamstown, old port. Some local festival. Many taken. Felt better. Decided to go to Ballarat - sacred site - only one hour away. There it was oh so quiet. Found Irish pub with music, old bearded guys playing traditional music. One guy gave me twenty. Went to "Peter Lalor" pub. I know Peter Lalor from Cottesloe, direct descendant. Ballarat flew him over for the 150th anniversary two years ago.
Monday. Ballarat "Courier did interview and pic at Eureka Stockade site which should be out in tomorrow's edition. (Here I must mention that no article appeared in the Torquay to Colac "Echo" this week.) Having stood on the site vaguely associated with the stockade (no records were kept), I found out the Eureka flag was at the Ballarat Museum of Fine Art. Went to see. A profound experience. The flag is tattered. The stars are crudely made. All of which gives it a powerful presence. Lake Wendoure, Ballarat's jewel was dismally dry due to drought. And though I couldn't find enough people in on place to spruik, I'm very glad I went to Ballarat. Returning to Melbourne dropped letter with sticker to journo at "Age" who had written long article about need for new flag. Placed 10 stickers in "We love the planet" shop in Collingwood. Met couple of guys at pub and had good chat. Everyone wanted a sticker. I'll never be able to barrack against Collingwood with the same ABC (anybody but Collingwood" attitude again.
Tuesday. Guy from Williamstown came to Toorak and got a flag!!!
Wednesday. Article appeared in "Melbourne Times" !!!!!!!! I'm very chuffed. Got copies. Leaving Melbourne for Eden and the Tasman Sea coast. The two articles have made the time here a success.

Advertisement



9th April 2006

melbourne times article
How do we get the article? Mom and I read todays blog. A very belated happy birthday. Leave tomorrow to go back to Steeler country.

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.2538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb