Melbourne prison and more Neighbours


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
October 12th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were on a high after our Neighbours experience and still very star struck, so with a bounce in our step we headed out to see what other Gems the city of Melbourne had for us.

We slowly made our way up through all the intriguing alleys and arcades to the top of the city. Little arty shops and cafés hidden away amongst the huge statement buildings, it’s hard to look where your going as your eyes are drawn in every direction by the stunning views.

Our destination was the Melbourne Gaol, a big statement building in it’s own right. Big and imposing from the outside and dark and oppressing on the in, the hair on the back of our necks stood tall as we walked through the keepers lodge and into the main cell block. This is no prisoner cell block H, with foot thick walls and very little light, just the cells alone let you know your in trouble if your there. If your good you get moved to the second floor with a window and a chance to go outside.

The walls of the cells are lined with engravings from the prisoners and now plaques full of stories to explain the dark past. One very memorable story for Alice talks of a man (Robert Steal) that whilst in solitary confinement, he died due to ‘Nervous exhaustion from exposure want and masturbation.’ So next time you think that our modern prisoners have an easy life with TV and gyms, it’s just to keep them occupied and stop these deaths!

On the second floor of the cell block is the hanging gallows and lots of displays on the many that came to their end swinging from the gruesome rope. Of course there is also a lot about the famous outlaw and bush bandit Ned Kelly and his gang, who also came to his end in the gallows of the cell block.

Once we had freaked ourselves out in the gaol we headed into the city for a bite to eat and a view that took us back a little. In the heart of Melbourne city they have combined preservation, redevelopment and inspiring design by building a shopping and entertainment venue around the old lead shot factory. A very unique and special mall, I think more places should take it up, a great move away from the repetitive Westfield centres around the world.

That afternoon we headed back to the police watch house, a very thrilling role play where we all got locked up in the dark cells and had our photos taken. Enough to stop anyone breaking the law!

Saturday and it was the Australian Football League final, massive in Melbourne and we joined hundreds of people sat in the sunshine at Federation Square whilst the Cats and Hawks fought out to hold the cup. The atmosphere was immense.

Our last days took us on tours around the great parks and markets, along the South Bank and through more little alleys to find small bars and cafés, it was soon time to leave Melbourne but not before we attended the Neighbours night.
Held in a pub in St Kilda, just south of the city, every Monday night hundreds of Neighbours fans pour in to see the stars and listen to Dr Karl play with his band. With loads of prises and a fun quiz we had a great time. Definitely up in our top ten experiences in Australia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

cow in a treecow in a tree
cow in a tree

no really thats what it is called


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb