Victorian Neighbours


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
September 25th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

us and Alanus and Alanus and Alan

the good Dr
We left Cairns it was thirty one degrees and humid and landed in Melbourne at a chilling eight, but dry. It's back on with the jumpers and away with the thongs.

After a short bus trip and a taxi we soon found our hostel, all dark and locked doors, but once we figured out the buzzer and made it up to the sixth floor we found life again. I wasn't a big fan of busy bustling Sydney and it's massive hostel but this one is pretty cool and much more friendly.

We soon found our beds and had a short sleep till the free breakfast, it's definitely an incentive to get out of bed! We spent our first day a little shell shocked and overwhelmed, Brisbane was our last big city and that is nothing compared to Melbourne. Such diverse bold culture hits you from every angle, it has massive statements of buildings from every fashion, the Victorian to the ultra modern, but the buildings all complement each other not fight for individual attention.

Our first point of call was the free circle tram, not only because it's free, but it's a tram, we like trams. I don't know how or why but we don't have any photos, i think we were too busy enjoying the experience or perhaps just waiting for the opportunity that never seemed right, but i feel a big snap happy day coming.

After exhausting ourselves on touring, walking and raiding the tourist information centre we headed back to the hostel to utilise it's many facilities and get a good sleep.

Day 2 and this means Neighbours day.

We spent the morning away walking down the elaborate south bank. It's the AFL final, Aussie football, on Saturday and the whole place is covered in screens and stands for the event, it should be massive and a lot of fun. After we had lunch we headed off to find our pick up point and we were off to Ramsey Street.

The bus was full of a lot of English and Irish girls, there were some other guys and a few Australians so that was alright. It took us quite a while to get out to the studio but when we arrived outside carpenters garage and greesemonkeys Alan Fletcher was there to greet us, AKA Karl Kennedy. Apparently if we had been earlier it would have been Libby Kennedy but we were ecstatic enough with the good Dr.

We were then taken to the school before heading off to Pin Oak, or Ramsey street. A real street with people living in the homes and 24 hour security in the street to protect them from the fanatics. It has got so bad that only residents are allowed in the street after 8pm, they fence the place off and guard it, sad but funny!

We spent ages photoing and posing outside all the famous houses, it was better then the painted lady's in San Francisco.

I can't wait to see what else we can find in this city, Melbourne is just so great, i think if i did emigrate it could be the place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

the mighty busthe mighty bus
the mighty bus

we didn't feel silly at all traveling around Melbourne in this


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb