Melbourne, Victoria


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
June 20th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ciara, Phil and whats-her-face? Susan?Ciara, Phil and whats-her-face? Susan?Ciara, Phil and whats-her-face? Susan?

Everybody needs good neighbours!
It was freezing in Melbourne. It is funny though how the winter days are longer in the southern hemisphere, no wonder they are a lot more relaxed and happy.

The day after we had flown down from Cairns we left our hotel located a 15 m
The city of Melbourne is beautiful. Old and new buildings sit side by side. The re-generation is in keeping with the old style architecture.

We found out that there was an arcade and computer games expo on in the Australian centre for the Moving Image. So you guessed it Phil just had to go. There was a $15 entrance fee but after that all the games were free to play. I had a go at Pac Man a classic. It was crammed full of school kids on a school day out, lucky kids even luckier teachers.

We met up with my cousin who is from Ireland originally and is now living in a little town north west of Melbourne. She has married an Aussie and they have a beautiful baby girl named Ciara.

The next day we went on a tour of Ramsey Street. We got to meet Susan Kennedy and saw Libby and Paul Robinson. The street is much smaller then it looks on the TV. On the journey we watched old episodes including Helen Robinson's death. I had totally forgotten Natalie Imbruglia was in Neighbours until we were watching an episode.


We then returned to the city we head up to Melbourne Goal, where Ned Kelly was held and Hung. We bought our tickets but before going into the jail we got ourselves "arrested". We queued up outside the old receiving building for Melbournes City Watch House. This establishment was used up until the mid 1990's. We were handed out charge sheets, informing us of our crimes, arresting officer etc. We where then searched, including holding our hands up with our fingers spread as arrested people smuggled drugs in their fingers.

Then we had to line up in lines according to our arresting officer, then we were locked up in the slammer. There was one toilet in the room which could hold a high number of detainees. They would sleep on the benches and on the floor. The "charge officer" had worked in the jail and said that the place stank of Vomit and other bodily functions. Nice!!!!

We were looked up in the men's wing for a couple of minutes, then we visited the women's area next door. I have attached a photo with the graffiti they wrote in the walls.

The main jail was haunting. It is believed a number of ghosts haunt the area. including a woman.
It is beleived that the man known as Jack the Ripper may have been a prisoner in the jail, who was hung.

The following day Phil's former colleague and friend came down to Melbourne. We went out to St Kilda. It was a little cold. It was Phils birthday so we had a few drinks to celebrate.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Big Ciara, Little Ciara, Margaret & WarrenBig Ciara, Little Ciara, Margaret & Warren
Big Ciara, Little Ciara, Margaret & Warren

Downtown in Little Italy, Melbourne


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb