Australia moves further from the UK?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
October 29th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I was out for a drive on Saturday morning and had the car radio on.

The radio (like the TV) here is totally Americanised - seemed really weird at first, but now when we tune into Real Radio online we can't understand how we ever listened to it!

Anyway - they were making a massive thing about the clocks changing into "daylight savings time" - they had competitions every hour or something to win something to do with time - be it a watch, or alarm clock or whatever (I remember growing up at home and half the time we never even knew it was changing!).

So - after having this clock going forward thing drummed into me for about 2 hours I realised that the opposite happens at UK in Autumn - so rather than being 9 hours ahead, we suddenly become 11 hours ahead. 9 hours was hard enough to keep in touch - be we are now quite literally in the middle of the night most of the time the UK is awake! Really mad when you think about it.

We did listen to Real Radio on Sat - and I noticed they were also making a massive thing of it and even playing songs with a time theme - maybe the American thing is catchin on there too!

We shouldn't really complain too much though - it was far too bright too early in the morning here last week - and, whilst i don't think the days will never be as long as May days at home, it was light right up until after 8pm - when it suddenly gets dark (non of that twilight thing!).



Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb