Why the hell did i stay in Sydney when i could have been in Melbourne??????


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well after leaving the heat of cairns me and Ian flew into Melbourne and it was raining and it was 12 o'clock at night so it wasnt really the best time to scope the city out so i waved farewell to Ian who was meeting up with his girlfriend and so i jumped into a taxi and off i set to my hostel, i had been told however that taxi drivers in melbourne are notorius for not knowing where anything is and this proved to be true as he consulted a map for about half an hour. Anyway i was staying in the mebourne metro YHA which was ok, the room was bit like a corridoor but all i was doing was sleeping in it for two nights so it was good enough.

That night for the first time in about 10 months i felt cold in the night and had to wrap up in a blanket, lucky bastard you might think! but it actually felt ice to curl up and wrap a blanket around you instead of roast and stew in your own juices for the night. Well also it was preparing me for new zealand. I woke up around 10 and had breakfast and headed out to scope the city, i thought it would be cold so i put all my warm clothes on......so what happens the sun comes out and its a warm sunny day! So i wandered through town and loved it, unlike Sydney and Brisbane i felt it had character and a certain feel about it. I wandered around and had a coffee and watched the world go by and then decided to head to the botanicle gardens. After a nice walk there, my first point of call was the war memorial which is really well layed out and a nice thing to look around and pay respects for the people who fought in the wars. Down the stairs it had a tomb and then a collection of war poems and good drawing representing them. You could also walk up top and get a great view of the city. I then wandered through the botanicle gardens and sat down on the grass in the sun, before deciding to head back throgh town and grab a bite to eat and then pop on the internet. By the time i had wandered for ages it was time to head back and get some shut eye.

I awoe the next morning to go on a tour of the MCG (melbourne cricket ground) with Ian. I met up with him outside the art gallery and then walked to the cicket ground we snapped some photos outside and then headed in for the tour. Unfortunately we got lumped with a volunteer guide who knew nothing about cricket and only wanted to talk about ozzy rules football, but as we were all english no one gave a shit. Also he didnt know his way around the ground and we found ourselves lost on more than a few occassions. After an hour of not learning anything and our guide sitting down and watching last nights ozzy rules game, the worst tour ever was over and just in time i had a flight to catch, so off i ran for myhostel to grab my bag and just in time as my bus arrived outside to pick me up and take me to the airport where i would set off for my fifth country of call New Zealand. Goodbye warm weather it will be a while till i see you again, and damnit i was just starting to tan......after 7 months of australia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Melbourne Cricket GroundThe Melbourne Cricket Ground
The Melbourne Cricket Ground

It was very impressive, unfortuantely the tour wasnt.


Tot: 0.63s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.5396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb