Maniacs in Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
October 10th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Views of the 12 AppostlesViews of the 12 AppostlesViews of the 12 Appostles

...from the Great Ocean Road

Melbourne - the 'Cultural' Capital of Ozz



After a fun time in Sydney, Ally and I took a 12hr 'greyhound' coach (the cheapest option) to Melbourne. We planned to meet with our friend Grant - who we traveled with from San Francisco to Vegas. Then from Melbourne we would drive down to 'The great Ocean Road' to the 'Twelve Apostles'.

Melbourne is the second largest city in Australia situated in the smallest state in Australia, Victoria...which is, not surprisingly, bigger than England. Melbourne is definately the arts/music/cosmopoliton capital of Australia, and was definately a funky place to hang out, wine n dine in one of the many trendy restaurants/cafes/sushi bars, visit the huge Casino or get swilled up in some of the old pubs!

We spent around 5 days in a friendly social hostel called 'Connections', which was in the centre of town. The manager (and pals) took us out to some quality joints, it was here that you meet the young 'cultural' Australian - who is a lot different from the typical young Queenslander/Australian (e.g. not as racist, drunk, etc................can i say that? )

We also met with our mates from Sydney (Simon & Loren) in the notoriously lively area of St. Kilda - which is situated on the coast to the east of the city and is considered to be one of Melbourne's most fashionable suburbs. We managed to get a cheap deal in a mansion that was closing down in the near future...it was a treat compared with some of the dingy and dirty hostels that we'd stayed in previously in St Kilda!

Grant the Great



After a week of chilling out, taking trams around the city, visiting the famous Melbourne Aquarium, havin' a few swills, etc... we met with Grant, who took us 200km south to 'The Great Ocean Road' in his Dads classic Jaguar.....Jurassic Park!

(It was good to see someone from the start of our trip to reminisce on our American adventure through Death Valley, etc.)

The Great Ocean Road (known as the Surfcoast Highway between Geelong and Torquay) which stretches 400km along the South Eastern coast of Australia between the Victorian cities of Geelong and Warrnambool is the world's biggest war memorial. It was built between World War I and World War II by returned servicemen in honour of their fallen comrades. The road took 16 years to build and it was all done by hand using picks, shovels and dynamite.

It was a really cool drive over the windey coastal roads with great views of sucluded beaches, woodland, and vast plains! We stayed the night in Apollo bay - which offered great night life with its one pub that shuts early!

So, the next day, slightly worst for wear, we headed to the famous 'Twelve Appostles'...

The Twelve Apostles are giant rock stacks that rise majestically from the Southern Ocean and are the central feature of the rugged Port Campbell National Park. The Twelve Apostles are the remnants from constant erosion of the limestone cliffs of the mainland that began 10-20 million years ago. The stormy Southern Ocean and blasting winds gradually eroded the softer limestone, forming caves in the cliffs. The caves eventually became arches and when they collapsed rock stacks up to 45 metres high were left isolated from the shore.

It was nice.

Goodbye Australia



So after many fond memories of another place in Ozz, we took a 15hr coach trip to Sydney...that was a barrel of laughs.... We had a few days to kill until we board a flight to Singapore - then on to Jakarta! So we sought a travel doctor to get some anti-malaria pills (mainly for Borneo), then wasted two days in a hostel relaxing and recharging for our 5 month South East Asia expedition. We needed all the energy we could get!

I cannot think of anything amazingly profound to write about our experiences in Ozz - apart from we've had such a fantastic trip, lots of good memories, met lots of great people, lots of money spent, lots of swill, great to see the Family ('hi').....it was proper proper mint man!

Lets hope we stuff them in the ashes! hehehehehe



Love to all in the hood


Nick & Ally

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



9th September 2010
The Famous Melbourne Aquarium

fantastic
it is like the ocean park in the Mall of Asia in the Phils..
13th October 2010
Another view of the 12...

cool
hi bye

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb