Singapore Sling


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
October 24th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had three days in Singapore until our connection flight to Jakarta, Java. We were concerned that this small 'weekend' trip would burn a hole in our wallets - as Singapore is very expensive.

The Republic of Singapore is a country in the continent of Asia at the southern end of the Malay peninsula. 4.4 million people live in Singapore, and many of them (76%) are Chinese. The important languages of Singapore are English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil, with most Singaporeans speaking English. Singapore is located 137km (85 miles) north of the Equator.

Singapore was founded as a British trading colony in 1819. It joined the Malaysian Federation in 1963 but separated two years later and became independent. It subsequently became one of the world's most prosperous countries with strong international trading links, its port is one of the world's busiest in terms of tonnage handled.

Singapore (closely followed by Kuala Lumpur) is THE financial capital of South East Asia. There were literally thousands of skyscrapers; Gucci, Prada and Versace shops; exquisite water fountains; lots of expensive shopping mals; expensive booze agents; and super clean streets, everywhere. It's even illegal to chuw gum here!

After spending our time window shopping, visiting the 'markets of impending doom' in 'Little India', drinking (one) expensive Singapore Sling cocktail in Raffles Hotel, the orginal bar that invented it...we packed our bags, and went to the airport.

Next stop: Jakarta...our most apprehensive part of the trip!

On board the airplane we appeared to be THE only white people, it was now sinking in that we were going somewhere which really isn't on the tourist route, and when we leave Jakarta airport we'd be right in the heart of Indonesia. We both had butterflies in our stomachs...but, like everywhere you, everything falls into place.

Lets see what Indonesia has in stall for us....



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb