port fairy dreaming


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Telstra Dome
February 6th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

feb 2-8 relaxation almost to point of catatonia. floated out of lorne for coastal sceney otway n.p. to apollo bay busy streets and market. fish and chips brought my own capsicum and tomato sauce for veg. sunshine on bald gren hills grazing country. parkup south of town campground plenty of passersby. rocky outcrops creating aquamarine pools, gold fruit turning red on bush.
feb 3-8 port casmpbell, early discovery track through coastal heath to view north cliffs and great rock pillar. bloke named rafael gave me old mobile. walk north came upon sacred sight, hallowed ground grass matting spot to sit hazy humidity whitening the land and the horizon too. common blackbird, nankeen kestrels brown back grey tear under eye, gulls, sparrows, three young girls doing cartwheels on beach.
feb 4-8 morning warnambooltown then 22 ks port fairy. wedgetailed eagle? wide streets and along the sidewalk such a seting for support then three blocks east to coastal carpark black rocks hot in the sun, one pool looked shallow, still and warm. two blokes on bikes one asking intently about flag got same and stickers saying he knew someone near ruddy so there's a chance of the EMAIL of invitation to canberra gabfest. well i said it was a dream. 'if you never have a dream you'll never have a dream come true!' so as those great rollers broke and turned from green to white i let tinned corn on dash heat and wrote rhythms and rhymes to relentles rustle of the waves.
5-2-8 early drive from grazing pasture to ten kloms from geelong instant city of outer suburbs. walk along streets quiet in the rush hour. two burgees flying at club!! then along scenic route to aldi and lunch behind dogtrack. all mellow into williamstown for main street parkup and beautiful woman smiles through window, hangs up phone and comes out. i'm thinking wild enthusiasm. next thing i know i'm carying mattresses up two flights. she promised a donation and shower. i said later better, cuppa too. then down to docks where marina looked like i should be there on racing days the yachts so beautiful, fit to fly, across the water melbn's grey towers on a grey day. spirit of tasmania at wharf. stretching out to the right st kilda and beyond. gateway bridge slate stately. more racers and behind them the 'craig' rebuilt square crosstrees and slanting rigging reflecting another era. heapscool. then to 'captains rest' b&b for hot shower, cuppa and long pleasant chat with melissa, brenda and brian. then later another long talk with two southafricans, here three days and permanent residents, still high strung from life in crime ridden homeland barbedwire, locks and gun by the bed. i said you're in, you've made it, relax.
6-2-8 day of the match sinuous clouds and sprinkles early. i'm trying to figure how to carry all the gear i need for the game. backpack with 175 handwavers and dozen large flags, four bamboo poles and a pocketful of stickers. train to 'southern cross station' around three. pint to relax and let crowd build. spruiking wasn't good. thousands passed me and only thirty handwavers went out. stashed the gear in locker for ten bucks and went in to game. stood at bar overlooking pitch as chill wind whipped through. three goals to soccoroos below me. three trains back to williamstown, dark and rainy. it was a prodigious effort, good result for team, not for me but.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb