St Kilda Festival


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
February 14th 2010
Published: February 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We all got ready in our new outfits for the festival. I'd bought a black dress with skulls on which reminded me of Alexander McQueen's designs. I bought it a few days ago, spookily, the day he died.
Claire met us at the flat and we all got on the Tram to St Kilda. Everywhere was heaving! The St Kilda festival had a mixture of music and sport events going on: on the beach, fields and streets in the town. Had lunch at The Street Cafe, a great Chicken Chiabatta with Mango Mayo, then walked through the crowds and over a bridge to the Main Stage. We went past a silent Disco, where everyone was dancing with headphones on. It looks funny to people passing by, as you can't hear the music they're dancing to.
The field by the Main Stage was beginning fill up and was surrounded by food stalls - even one by Nando's! Some of the bars nearby would only allow people to drink while sitting down, so they were refusing entry to people if all their seats were all taken. Managed to get in to 3182 Bar & Grill and had a few drinks there, but decided it would be cheaper to buy our own and take them to the festival field. Headed to Coles but it took us ages to get through the crowded street. When we arrived there were signs saying each customer could only buy two drinks, and spirits weren't allowed, so we bought cans of pre-mixed Malibu & Coke. You're not really meant to drink in public places, so we had to hide them from the Police Patrols in our paper bags. They're so much more strict with Alcohol laws here in Oz.
Sat under a tree near the main stage and the four of us girls chatted in the shade. We saw a bloke being attacked by the police. They probably thought he was being "drunk and disorderly", but it caused a bit of a rumpus because 6 or 7 officers piled on the poor guy.
Listened to a brilliant band on the main stage, they got everyone up dancing. Apparently the band had won a competition to play at this festival. Graeme and his mate Doogie (aka Tin Tin from the other night) left us and we headed to a few bars in St Kilda. Everywhere was charging to get in, like 15-20 dollars, but the doormen on Robarta called us over and let us in for free. I didn't stay out much longer though; said goodbye to the girls and headed back to Stephs apartment on the Tram and was home by 11pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb