St Kilda Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
January 4th 2007
Published: January 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up to find the temperatures had soured to about 35 degrees and as we felt that we had covered enough ground yesterday, we deserved a day off on the beach!

Heading out on the great tram system once more, which we had now discovered were not policed in the ticket purchasing area, so managed to ride for free (shhhh don’t tell the authorities!), we headed to St Kilda a little beach only 20 minutes from the city.

On arriving we both felt that we had obviously been spoilt by the beautiful beaches on the east coast, don’t get me wrong- by English standards this was a lovely beach, but the sand wasn’t as soft as the beaches back north and they were certainly more looked after.

As the hours passed and the sun roasted us to a crisp, I started to feel that all this cooking was about done and I was roasted enough for one day! So we went for a little walk to find some shade.

The high street area reminded us of Camden in London, really colourful, mad sculptures on the shop fronts over hanging the street, really funny shops to meander in and out of and lots of little cafes with such lovely food, we could have stayed there for days!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



6th January 2007

glad you made it to Melbourne. i like melbourne, as does liam but he's bias! there's a french cafe/restaurant called Bistro Vite just across the river from Flinders St Station which is where Helena's man Dean is head chef. and if you go to the botanical gardens watch out for the furit bats! hundreds of the things!!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.8kb