The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
January 5th 2007
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were up sharp this morning to collect our rental car for a mini road trip for the day.

We were heading to the great Ocean Road a famous stretch of road south west of Melbourne where the road literally hugs the coast line and has some amazing views out to sea.

On reaching the road it was just a case of stopping at each look out point and taking in the views, which as you can imagine were amazing.

The most famous stop called the ‘Twelve Apostles’ are a collection of rock formations in the sea which are unfortunately corroding away in to the sea over time. There are in fact only 7 left standing.

One thing I have failed to mention so far today, or infact previous days in and around the Melbourne area are the flies. Now I’m not talking big blue bottles, I mean really annoying little house flies, buzzing around your head, in your ears, trying to get up your nose! They are actually looking for water, as this is such a dry climate and is currently 7 years into a significant water drought, they come in search of your sweat- mmmm I know really nice!

By the time we had arrived at our final sight for the day The Twelve Apostles, these little buggers were driving me mental, not just mad, I was about to kill someone… It was all I could do to remove myself from the car, take a picture and run back in to the safe haven of the air-conditioned car!

The views were lovely and certainly worth the drive but unfortunately today will only ever be remembered for one thing in my eyes!

Our return drive to Melbourne took us through the Victoria countryside - which looks a lot like Lincolnshire, especially when you find huge fields full of dairy cows and sheep! We also visited Bell's Beach - the site of the film Point Break and the Rip Curl World Surfing Championships. Sadly the surf was really poor due to the wind direction at the time.

We also went to a chippy in Torquay for dinner - the funny thing out here is they cook all of your food to order - nothing is sitting in ovens in advance. Therefore just to get shark and chips took 50 minutes! They may as well go catch you a fish as well!


Advertisement



8th January 2007

Killer Flies
They get worse in the outback.... they never bugged sonj and i that much till we drove an hour or two inland where you start to see tumbleweeds. Then they literally attack!! you suddenly understand why the hat with the corks was invented!!
16th January 2007

Useful information.
Good article! I guess I have to remind all our customers to prepare fighting with the flies. Patrick Shi DriveAway Holidays http://www.driveaway.com.au/

Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb