The Shrine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
May 3rd 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I must admit I've never been into the Shrine of Rememberance though I've walked around that area before. It was built right after WW1, and is the largest war memorial in Victoria.

This is the holy ground for Australians, where they remember all the troops who fought in various wars.

Something about this place, the pictures, the medals, the quietness, really makes one ponder about the lives that were lost and what the whole point of war is.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ceremonial Entrance.Ceremonial Entrance.
Ceremonial Entrance.

With the opening of the Visitor's Centre, the actual entrance is at the north-east corner of the Shrine. This front facade is only the ceremonial entrance.
Medals.Medals.
Medals.

There are 4000 of these at the entrance to the Visitor's Centre.
Stone of Remembrance.Stone of Remembrance.
Stone of Remembrance.

Marble stone sunk below the pavement where no hands may touch it and where visitors must bow their heads to read the inscription.
Eternal Flame.Eternal Flame.
Eternal Flame.

The flame (on the right) was lit by Queen Elizabeth 2 in February 1954.
Flagpoles.Flagpoles.
Flagpoles.

Three flagpoles in the Forecourt fly the Australian flag and the State and service flags in rotation.


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb