Commonwealth Games 2006


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
March 26th 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Okay so I should probably have gone to the matches but I didn't. Watching it on tv was quite nice with the commentaries.

Final day of the games, we headed to the city centre and took a walk to the spots with free big-screen tvs (they called it 'live areas') to watch the closing ceremony. Big 'fishes' on the water which changed colour every few minutes, huge Comm Games banners hanging from Flinders Street Station.

My favourite part was walking along St Kilda Road - they closed it to traffic so everyone could basically walk in the middle of the road. Ah, the simple pleasures.

Fireworks at the end were amazing - it was a great idea to have it fire from the rooftops of various buildings around the city so everyone got a good view.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Alexandra Gardens.Alexandra Gardens.
Alexandra Gardens.

On the way to the Sidney Myer Music Bowl.
River view.River view.
River view.

People seated along the Yarra river, view towards the city centre.
Fishes.Fishes.
Fishes.

Lighted fishes all along the river.
Fed Square.Fed Square.
Fed Square.

The hub of the games! Ticket booth, and Games' volunteer on the right with the cap, St Paul's cathedral behind.
Tourist Info Centre.Tourist Info Centre.
Tourist Info Centre.

'United by the Moment' - tourist centre at Fed Square.
Fireworks.Fireworks.
Fireworks.

View from Victoria Street.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb