Ashes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
January 2nd 2011
Published: January 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Went to every day of the Ashes in Melbourne which was quality, but very cold in the shade as there was an icy wind blowing, but once in the sun it was roasting. Boxing day was a quality day watching Australia get bowled out for 98 lowest score ever in Melbourne for the aussies and then watching England bat into a lead on day one. Next few days were good too watching J Trott bat a flawless innings and then a victory on the 4th day.

Immigration was a pain it took me about 2 hours to get through immigration and declaration, ridiculous! First day I got a little sun burnt on my face due to it being cloudy when I went out and then the sun showing up to burn me to death. Whilst being burnt I was waiting for England to come out and practice as I heard they would soon. 2 hours later (getting sun burnt) Cook and Finn appear and Finn bowls bloody fast. Went back the 2nd day and saw a few more practicing (you guys getting jealous?).

Headed to the Neighbours tour that I was really looking forward too, but was left a little disappointed not to be able to go into the studio and see the inside of the houses. But we did go to Ramsey street also known as Pin Oak. Took some piccies as you do. Haven't managed to catch an episode for some 3 months now and I heard Ringo has died and there is to be a fire on the Scully house. Also headed to Lou's Mechanics and grease monkeys which was cool and apparently they film all outside shots on the premises, so use the same places all the time. When Zeke broke in the lab it was actually the gates outside the studio. Finally the star guest I met was....... Skye aka Stephanie Macintosh, just like you James, small world. Will head to the night out when I get back as I'm not here on another monday night. Oh and on the bus we watched Toadie marrying Dee and then driving over the cliff.

Christmas day was a strange one as it was cloudy and warm and not freezing cold. I went with the hostel to St Kilda beach and had a BBQ, we ran out of bread so was just eating plain beef, good
MCGMCGMCG

Me at the MCG
for the old heart. The weather wasn't that great so yet to get any sort of a tan apart from the t-shirt tan. Played a bit of cricket on the beach, people whacking the ball into other little groups as the beach was very crowded. We did have some tunes on and at one stage a big circle transformed and some guys tried to bust a move (no I didn't join in). News Year was just like any other day went to the city centre to watch the fireworks, but it was an alcohol free zone, probably due to lots of families being around. Felt just like any other day really and probably would have been better with friends back home.

Having not done too much in Melbourne apart from the Ashes, I really liked it and always assumed I'd come here due to the many sporting events in the city and after seeing lots of people running all day around the many parks near the city centre, I probably would move here, but it could be expensive trying to turn down gonig to so many events.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

NeighboursNeighbours
Neighbours

Me outside Harold's old house
Batting PracticeBatting Practice
Batting Practice

Trott, Bell, Strauss
Ramsay StreetRamsay Street
Ramsay Street

Outside Dr K's
Steph MacintoshSteph Macintosh
Steph Macintosh

Aka Skye Mangel
MCGMCG
MCG

Winning the 4th test
Boxing Day TestBoxing Day Test
Boxing Day Test

Introductions
MelbourneMelbourne
Melbourne

Biggest building in Melbourne
Christmas DayChristmas Day
Christmas Day

St Kilda beach


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb