Aussie rules


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This'll have to be another quick entry - we only signed up onto the computer so that we could print out our check-in things for our flight tomorrow morning. Am not looking forward to tonight - we're sleeping (or probably not) at the airport because of our early flight. We have had new roommates who get up at 6am and faff about for an hour though, so the airport'll probably be more peaceful (or at least we'll know what to expect).

The past few days here have been really nice. Lots of strolling around and seeing the sights. We went to that AFL game on Saturday - Collingwood beat St Kildas. I was supporting Collingwood (they have the only player that I've heard of) so it was even more fun. They also have a cool song that got played at the beginning and then after they'd won. The game itself is very different from our football - it's divided into quarters that are about half an hour long each, and players can pass the ball using their hands and by kicking it. Though it's way more complicated than that! Aaron'll probably be way more accurate. The pitch is massive, and it was difficult to understand at first, but I could see myself really getting into it. The weather was terrible though, I'm not sure if it was the layout of the MCG that made it worse, but we were both wearing an immense amount of layers and still not remotely warm. We were also hugely jeaous of everyone else's food - pies, chips, crisps... It was like different courses at every break! After that we went to the cinema and watched 'Knocked Up' - I know it's old everywhere else but it's only just come out here!

Yesterday we got our bargain travel cards again and went to St Kilda. I got my second chocolate scone! We then got a tram to the Docklands - which aren't as good as the docks at Sydney! There was a fun park though, so we got to act like kids for a while. Last night we watched some 'Live Earth' in the bar, and then watched the live comedy that they have on Sunday nights. It was really good, loads of different acts and most of them were really funny. There was some excitement at the end as well when a fight developed because some guy was kicking another one's chair, then slapped him and then threw water at him. Very strange! You could tell that the comedian bloke was really shocked and didn't know what to do or say. The annoying lad got kicked out in the end.

Today we went to the 'Australian Centre for Moving Images' and saw the Pixar exhibition. It was really interesting and featured stuff about all of their films and the short films that they've made. Gutted that it's the school holidays here and it was absolutely full of kids, but we still had fun. I felt so old though!

So now we're heading out for a final goodbye to Melbourne, and then going back to the hostel for a BBQ and then having our boring time at the airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



9th July 2007

awww
i'm still so very jealous. Thank you for my postcard it was soo cool (though neil now wants a ninja koala). I'm really going to have to save up for a trip to aus. Be safe you two, love heather xxxxxxxx
13th July 2007

Hi
Melbourne looks really nice. Keith the cat is really cute and the wooden wombat looks cool! Sounds like you had a few noisy roommates on your travels though! See you soon, Marc.

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb