Melbourne and the Gaol


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
July 20th 2012
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On our first day in Melbourne we woke up to sunny skies. After a nice breakfast in our luxurious apartment we took the tram to the centre of Melbourne. It was a nice ride and gave a good view of the city. We got of in the northern part close to the Melbourne Gaol, which we visited. It was an interesting experience that started with us getting arrested by an ex goal sergeant. He showed us what happens when you go to gaol and he told us some funny and interesting stories of from his time when it was in active service. My favourite was about a known crock that, inspired by a film, robbed a bank in a plastic boiler suit and facemask. Under his disguise he wore a business suit and as he left the bank he quickly took of his disguise to blend in with the crowd on the street. Unfortunately for him he did this just in front of a security camera. The investigating police officer recognised him directly and called him at home a few hours later and explained that that they had footage of him at the robbery. He admitted over the phone and asked if he could turn him self in on Monday as it was his grandmothers birthday the upcoming Sunday. The police said it was OK and he kept his word and when to gaol the week after.



When we left the weather had turned overcast and cold so we walked down to Federation Square where there was an exhibition of computer game designer. I went there with the boys and Jennyfer decided to visit some of the nice little shopping lanes that Melbourne is famous for. We all had a nice few hours.



Alexandra Clark that was an exchange student with us in 1986 had invited us for dinner with her and her children. After some initial shyness the children got along well and we had nice meal and talked a lot. I also got to speak to Alex mother as she called during dinner. We stayed till the boys fell a sleep in the sofa. Alex will get tickets for us for the football game tomorrow so we will see her and the children again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb