Stratford/Genoa/Mallacoota/Omeo Oct/Nov 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mallacoota
October 31st 2017
Published: October 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 (27/10/2017)

Left Cranbourne North at 8:00AM. Start KM 96,239

Arrived Stratford 10:45AM.

Wanted to get out before too many trucks headed East. Relatively easy run up until the stretch between Traralgon & Sale, encountering numerous roadworks which made progress a lot slower than expected.

Arrived at Stratford on the River Caravan Park to find that we were placed at the far end of the park, quite a long way from the toilets. Went up the road to the Stratford Bakery for lunch, where we had the finest pies we had tasted pretty much in our lifetime. After that it was next door to the Shaws Butcher for some wonderful meats to get us through the next 2 evenings.

But before we can start holidaying, it is off the short 15KM into the Sale Ibis Styles for our 3 days Lions Club Convention for District 201 V3. We registered & caught up with old friends, whilst making new friends, before the BBQ dinner & a drink or two.

The Opening Ceremony was formally opened by local MP Tim Bull & was followed by an informal reception with the chance to chat with numerous members from the various Lions Clubs.

Arriving back at the caravan at 9PM to rest up for the big day ahead.



Day 2 (28/10/2017)

Awoke at 6:20AM to the sound of rain. It was quite light; until I was halfway to the toilets where it pelted down to drench me. After much expletives Deb & I made the decision that our next caravan WILL have a toilet in it!

Next thing was the toaster setting off the safety switches. Stuffed. Many more expletives used. Had cereal instead & hopped in the car to head into Sale for the early 8AM start.

We had the Flag Ceremony, followed by the business session & candidates for the 2018-2019 District Positions. Voting followed along with morning tea, before returning back to a humorous talk from the Sale Police Wellington Proactive Unit, followed by the magnificent Youth of the Year & Junior Public Speaking winners; all exceptional young people. The winners of the elected positions were announced before adjourning for lunch.

Unfortunately we missed lunch as we had to go buy a toaster (more expletives again). The afternoon session involved a Youth Forum, speeches, speakers & Lions Ride For Sight cheque presentation.

Finished up around 5PM & headed back to the caravan with yet even more rain. Had shaslicks, chicken schnitzel & a butter chicken sausage for dinner followed by noisy thunder & lightning. Oh yes…and more rain!

Nodded off about 10:30PM as we could sleep in a bit longer.



Day 3 (29/10/2017)

Up for breakfast at around 7:15AM with the new toaster performing for us! Back to Sale again for the later 9AM start.

A very moving Remembrance Ceremony started proceedings with Lions lost in the past 12 months. One of them was Dr Bob Coulthard from South Australia, who was the family Dr for many years & looked after Mum for most of her life. I did not know that he was a Lion, which left me extremely saddened that another quality person was lost.

Further guest speakers & the parade of cheques raising a sensational $12,835 from the attending Lions Clubs for the Licola Wilderness Village. Finishing up after 12 Noon, we headed back to the caravan to start packing up in readiness for an early departure next morning.



Day 4 (30/10/2017)

Up at 6AM, departing Stratford at 6:45 in yet more rain. Filled up with fuel in Bairnsdale followed by a short stop at a bakery for a bacon/egg roll & a cup of tea. Back on the road eventually arriving at our free camp at Genoa at 11:05AM. Set up the annexe in between rain showers & set about testing out the solar panel & battery. Even with dark skies, we were churning in 1.9 – 5.5 off the solar panel; pretty impressive. I knew there was a reason why I spent a bit more to get a decent solar panel!

We set up near to the toilets, which with the rain would prove to be a smart move! There were around 12-15 other vans & campers, with several campfires going in the allocated fire bins. We cooked a late afternoon dinner & by 7:30PM all was quiet with everybody indoors.



Day 5 (31/10/2017)

Woke up just after 7AM to, you guessed it, more bloody rain. I cooked bacon & eggs for breakfast; tastes so much better than any other place can offer! Took our time packing up before heading across the short 23KM to Mallacoota & the Shady Gully Caravan Park. We were told to drive in & pick our own site then come back later on to pay. You don’t get that very often!

Naturally we chose a spot right next to the toilets. There is nothing worse than walking to the loo in the rain or cold, so the shortest distance is the way to go. Sparkling clean facilities too, so quite impressed. There is also a great Camp Kitchen, BBQ & eating area.

Got the annexe set up in between more rain, followed by a mostly sunny afternoon. Deb cooked roast chicken, potatoes & carrots for a late lunch which was sensational. Went for a bit of a drive around Mallacoota, checking out some of the sights & familiarising ourselves with where everything is.

Settled in with a few cups of tea & whilst writing the blog & uploading photos before a hot shower & some TV before getting some rest for the drive up into NSW tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb