Day 15


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Lakes Entrance
February 21st 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ninety Mile Beach Ninety Mile Beach Ninety Mile Beach

The Ocean 90 mile beach area at Lakes Entrance
We decided to stay another night here at Lakes entrance and take a drive further afield.
So a relaxed start, rebooked for the night we drove off and visited the 90 mile beach. Not a good beach day as the wind had come up and was blowing cold and hard. We walked across the footbridge leading to the beach and had a look, the sea was running fairly hard and a good rip happening. Good decision not to go for a swim.

We headed to Bairnsdale, and old township. The town was interesting, but the Cultural centre we chose to have a look at was closed, (The "bloke was sick and had been since last Thursday, not sure when he will be back") Was the statement by the guy in a verandah above the entrance. So lets head to the museum, would you believe it, it was also closed.
We did manage to visit St Marys church, an historic church with hand painted murals on the ceiling and walls, certainly a wonderfully preserved church, a peaceful place to sit for a while.
We decided to have lunch and found a KMart and bought a couple of required items. (One being
The Footbridge The Footbridge The Footbridge

This footbridge links Lakes Entrance shopping strip to the beach area. The Surf lifesaving club on the left side of the shot.
a 12' beach fishing rod & reel)
We did to do a loop road trip to head back to Lakes Entrance and drove a short distance up The Alpine Way, through some nice farmland,then back through Bruthen back towards Nowa Nowa through State Forest.

Back onto the Highway and a visit to an historic Rail Trestle bridge (no longer in use) built in 1916. Quite impressive engineering.

Back home to relax and have wine o'clock and dinner.
Further towards Melbourne tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

St Marys Church BairnsdaleSt Marys Church Bairnsdale
St Marys Church Bairnsdale

As normal the photos do not do justice to the work done by the artist.
The Historic Trestle BridgeThe Historic Trestle Bridge
The Historic Trestle Bridge

A Trestle Bridge built for the rail link in 1916.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb