Inverloch May 2016


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Inverloch
May 25th 2016
Published: May 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 (23/5/2016)

Left home at 10:45am. Topped up with diesel to get a true indicator of fuel economy with the new performance chip installed. Wild & windy trip with some severe crosswinds. Arrived in Inverloch at 12:35 with a fuel economy of 9.8L/100KM.

Had a lukewarm bite to eat at the bakery, picked up a few essentials from the shop & started the caravan set up at the RACV Resort. Blustery winds made putting up the annex a real challenge with Deb nearly being blown off of her “vertically challenged” stool. In between the huge wind gusts came bursts of rain that made it a stop/start affair.

After finally getting the annexe up & pegged down, I drilled & siliconed the screws into the new side channels to give the annexe more hold. After the experience of Jindabyne’s massive winds I wanted to make sure the hatches would always be battened down.

Next thing water runs off the ensuite roof (no gutters) & because we are on the only ensuite site without a runoff slope, all the water goes under the annexe & floods us out. By now Bob’s swear jar is overflowing. Off we go to the $2 shop in Inverloch to get some beach mats for inside the van to soak up the water off our shoes.

We started cooking dinner & had the heater on & piff; out went all power. After a quick check around I reset the circuit breakers & all was back to normal, except for ceiling lights. So here was Deb & I fossicking about in a pitch black caravan because Bob forgot to put the torch in (insert muttering & expletives ala Muttley). Borrowed another campers torch & pulled out all fuses & reinserted them, but still no bloody ceiling lights. Dinner restarted cooking & we had scorched roast veggies by torchlight; not as romantic as you think!

Decided to leave it til morning to recheck the fuses so retreated to a hot shower; a loooonnnngggg hot shower. Always nice when it is someone else’s water! Hopped into bed & watched a bit of tv before drifting off into the universe.



Day 2 (24/5/2016)

Awoke at the usual “get up for work time” of 5:55am; bloody stupid body clock! Next thing we knew it was 8:20am. Had a bit of breakfast & a nice hot cuppa & started pulling the fuses out in daylight 2 at a time. Swapped the first two around & we had ceiling lights (more bloody muttering & expletives). Swapped them back again & all still ok. Buggered if I know!

Went down the road to Wonthaggi to get some spare fuses just in case of any more electrical mishaps. Deb headed into the shops for her usual “retail therapy” & bargain finds. A couple of full bags later we decided to have a bit of lunch from the chicken shop in the main street. Deb has the most massive hamburger while I had some chicken & chips which was also sensational. Cant recommend this place highly enough & thanked the ever polite African gentleman for his wonderful food & service & headed back to Inverloch.

Decided to pick up some mussels in readiness for a spot of fishing. After about 30 minutes in sideways winds & one puffer fish I put up the white flag & retreated back to the van.

Went out for dinner at the Esplanade Hotel since I cant catch fish & enjoyed pumpkin & potato soup followed by a honey mustard marinated chicken fillet which was divine. Deb had a creamy seafood pasta which was also fantastic.

Dropped Deb off & went back out fishing but dead as a dodo. Returned to the van for another long hot shower & some much needed sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb