Day 16 Gunbower Mon 1st November


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Gunbower
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sacred KingfisherSacred KingfisherSacred Kingfisher

Gunbower Island
A lovely day dawned so I choose to do bird watching over any indoor learning. Especially after the mind boggling effort of editing packages yesterday! First, with a large group of likeminded people, we went up to Cohuna and out to a forested area beside the Murray River on Gunbower Island. A couple of Red-capped Robins fighting, lots of White-wing Coughs, Nankeen Night Herons and Sacred Kingfishers were some of the bird we saw. There were also pockets of hoppers! It was a little bit ‘biblical’ on a small scale.
Back in Cohuna we stopped near the caravan park for morning tea and a look at the Gunbower from the Island Rd. On the way back to Gunbower via the Island Rd we stopped off at a picnic point for a walk through some more Black Box country. Here we saw Darters, Little Black Cormorants and Sacred Kingfishers nesting.
Lunch was another cabin made Mountain Bread roll up, with the usual filling (peanut butter, salami, cabbage, spring onion, carrot and taste cheese). But before I could make and eat this I put on a load of washing, it was a beautiful day for cloths drying and I was not
Australian PelicanAustralian PelicanAustralian Pelican

take off at Cockatoo Lagoon, Gunbower Island
going to waste it! After eating lunch and pegging out the washing it was back into town to see what was going on. Some people were standing around outside the hall; Rhonda Barrand said they were off to Cockatoo Lagoon again with one of the local birders. I asked if I could join her car again. In the car I mentioned to Peter that I had told the local block out our Square-tailed Kite and he said that by the time he got to do it the man said yes he had heard about it a number of times!
The best bit about this trip was the Rainbow Bee Eaters we saw as we were leaving. Using the car as a hide made for easy viewing and photography. So there are a few pictures of this bird so many in fact with the new lens that I flattened the battery! Hope you all enjoy the ones I have put up here. It was great watching the birds flipping and diving around each other, we think there was some competition going on between the males and also between the couples. Peter said they had properly only just recently arrived back from the northern migration for the breeding season, we had seen some half started nest holes.
Back at the cabin we had a cuppa tea, compared images we were downloading form the most recent outing and looked at some great photos of a couple people’s trips to Lake Eyre and their flights over it. A quick shower before 6.00pm and I headed into the bowling club for our finial tea. This time we had ‘Aussie’ Chinese dishes, chow min, fried rice and spaghetti (I know it’s not Chinese but that’s what the ladies had! And the Italians did get noodles from china). Desert was once again a mini pav and then we went over to the hall for a presentation from John Barkla. Before leaving the bowling club Peter and I spotted another bird to add to our list, a Turkey Gobbler! And he was a beauty too and we made him gobble but I did not have my camera with me bugger it! I had also seen some lovely red hens at the farm on Cockatoo Lagoon Island; they had a little Buff Pekin Roster with them!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

dragonfly meal dragonfly meal
dragonfly meal

Its for you dearest
Rainbow & DoveRainbow & Dove
Rainbow & Dove

A Peaceful Dove flew into shot of Rainbow Bee Eater
Save the best to lastSave the best to last
Save the best to last

sixty nine pictures in totall


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb