Road Trip - The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
February 22nd 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We hired a 4wd Subaru Forrester (which was dad's Impreza) to begin our road trip on the Great Ocean Road. The first part of the road is called the 'surf coast' stretching from Torquay to Lorne where we watched some of the country's best surfing taking place on seemingly endless beaches.
Our first 2 night stop was at the lovely Lorne where we were lucky enough to stay in a great log cabin in the middle of the eucalyptus tree forrest. we were surrounded by local wildlife including cockatoo's and Lorikeets which came to feed on our balcony and enjoyed biting Jason's finger off!!
Whilst in Lorne we went off road to find a fruit farm where their was a cafe and we gorged on Pancakes, scones and fruit pie. We didnt pick any fruit, dad just stuffed his pockets!!SHhhh. We spent the evenings doing the traditional Aussie thing of having a Barbie on the Balcony and watching the sunset.
On the road again we stopped to spot some Koala's and got lucky with a few snuggled up in the branches, also saw some Emu's maddly running around. We made a brief stop at the sleepy hamlet of Apollo Bay to browse the shops and local markets before moving onto Port Campbell.
Whilst at Port campbell we watched a surfing competition and made a trip at sunset to the spectacular 12 Apostles rock formations which were supposed to glow bright red, we didnt see any of that but they were pretty amazing!
Our next stop for a few nights was at Warrnambool, the second largest city on the great ocean road but had the atmosphere of a western town and we spent our time on the huge beach as the sun had come out to play.
Port Fairy was our last stop on the great ocean road and was a lovely sleepy little town with very exclusive homes lining the wharf. Mum enjoyed doing a bit of retail therapy here!
Since meeting up with Mum and Dad we've been thoroughly spoilt getting to stay in lovely apartments - (no stinky hostels), Eating 3 proper meals a day (so we've put of a couple of stones each) and we were even able to have a BATH!! which we've been without for 6 months and NO we don't stink!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb