Rivers, Choppers, Rocks and such.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road » Torquay
June 6th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well here I am in Southern Australia!
Melbourne is actually a really beautiful city. It's got the Yarra river running through it which is lined with attractive parks and expensive restaurants, and a nice boardwalk. At night, these tall columns let off flames on the hour in front of the huge Casino. It's been great so far.

On my first day arriving, I took a walk down the river and managed to see a few sights that were listed in the lonely planet guide. The huge MCG, the boardwalk, and Federation Square all are accessible by the walk, and I managed to get some really good photos. It's been cold, but really not as cold as Canberra was on my first day in Australia. It's funny because I can walk around in capris and a little sweater and I'll pass loads of people in heavy winter coats and scarves. I feel quite underdressed, and I can tell that they think so too sometimes! haha.

I've also managed to go to the Queen Victoria market, which is HUGE! And got some fresh bread from the bakers. It's actually cheaper to do that then get it from the supermarket, and it
Koala
tastes lovely with my Nutella. It was also nice talking to all the local vendors there, they were all really friendly and didn't try to push me into buying stuff at all. They just seemed happy to have company.

After a short tram ride I made it to St. Kilda beach, but it was a rather overcast day and not a very good time to be going there I dont think. Supposedly when it's hot and sunny the place completely changes. So maybe I'll get one of them before I leave, and have to make another trip over, it wasn't really that far at all.

ANYWAY, all of that is well and good, but I must say that today was FANTASTIC. I booked a tour to see the Great Ocean Road. And it's been a long long day (I've been up since before 7, and we've only just come back now at 9pm), but it has been completely worth it. The tour cost 140 dollars, which is steep, especially for a backpacker, but I have wanted to see it since even thinking of coming to australia, so it was something I just had to do.

It included
Helli Ride!
quite a bit. We stopped off at Bell's Beach (the beach mentioned in Point Break, and is famous for surfing), and numerous beautiful photo spots, and some nice small towns along the coast. I can also now say I've seen a KOALA! We stopped at an area to see wild koalas, and there were loads sleeping or eating in the trees. They are so addorable, and I was quite excited to see them :D.

After that we headed into a temperate rainforrest (not a tropical one), and had a little bit of a hike through there. I managed to snap a few photos of the only carnivorous snail in the world, and a few other interesting plants etc. After the rainforest was the part I had been waiting for.... The 12 Apostles!

They were beautiful. Seeing the stone cliffs was breathtaking, and the blue water crashing against them made it even better. It was also a nice day, so it was just beautiful to see. I don't even know how to explain it. It just made me soo happy to even see them, because I had been told about how beautiful they were, and it really is that
GOR
great.

But the piece de resistance, is that... I got to fly in a helicopter over them!!! Isn't that fantastic?! How many people get to say that they've flown in a helicopter over the 12 apostles in the south of Australia!! Not many (I don't think). It was really fantastic seeing how the cliffs are carved out. It was breathtaking. I have so many photos I want to put on here, but I can't because the computers are crappy! 😞.. I just.. I can't explain it. The blue water, whie frothy waves, the light brown and almost white stone. It was definitely a great experience, and worth the price I say.

Anyway, It's been great so far, and there is still loads to see down here. I don't leave until Monday, so I still have awhile to fit more stuff in.

I will update soon! Hope everyone is doing well 😊 Miss you all!

Mylis



Advertisement



6th June 2007

Fun
Sounds kind of fun and new experiences for you Mylis!
7th June 2007

BAH!
I'm so jealous... I wait for a bus for an hour today... and the sun has gone into hiding and isn't supposed to come out til next week *tear* I can't wait to see your pictures, it sounds so gorgeous over there! Be safe and don't talk to strangers (well the wierd ones anyway).
11th June 2007

Yay!
Ooh, koala! I assume it wasn't dead like the kangaroos...and I'm glad to hear you're eating nutella :)

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb