Following th Murray River and finding Gold


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Echuca
November 10th 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Renmark, a fantastic town on the Murray River just inside the SA/VIC Border. The caravan park was literally on the river bank and so beautiful the highlight being green green grass. We could have stayed there for months.
We followed the Murray along the border into NSW and back to VIC before rolling into Echuca. We found a caravan park to stay in, it was the best of a bad bunch so we stayed long enough to change the floor in the van (it had been badly stained by rubber mats before we left) and also to have a ride on the historic Paddle Steamer “Alexander” Then it was off to Bendigo.
Bendigo was another beautiful town soaked in history and as we found out has a few unexpected firsts as its claim to fame, such as the first Myers department store and the first Tram in VIC. We had a full day exploring the town, first to Confectionery Capers which is one mans 30year work involving every extraordinary twist to mechanics you can think of with a milion puzzling capers thrown in, in fact it is to hard to put into words what this man as created the pictures will have to speak for themselves stop, next stop Bendigo Pottery “for a pottery wheel lesson which produced some amazing works of “Art”. After lunch we went for a ride on the old Bendigo Tram around the city and finishing at the Deborah Gold mine where we ventured 61metres underground to see what life was like for the miners back in the 1950’s.






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb