City of Churches and the best Christmas Parade of all time


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
October 30th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Adelaide and spent the first day cleaning the Watergate.

We took a city tour to get to know the place, the highlight was a visit to Haighs Chocolate Factory YUM YUM

Saturday we decided to take a drive to Victor Harbour and ride the Horse drawn tram along the causeway to Granite Island. Bill the Clydesdale did a great job. The tram weights 4.8 tonne and including people averages 7 tonne, he pulls the tram 1.5km across to the island and back 3 times a day before being replaced by one of 6 other Clydesdale’s for the other 3 trips each day. Afterward we traveled back to the city via a little town called Hahndorf whose claim to fame is that it is Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement established in 1839, it has heaps of craft shops and galleries as well as a pub with a huge German flavour about it.
Sundays driving day trip was to Mannum where we caught a car ferry across the Murray

We decided to enjoy another week in Adelaide relaxing until Saturday. The Adelaide Christmas Pageant was on and it was well worth the wait, we travelled into town where all the streets were blocked off. We found our way to a great spot right where Santa was to get off his sleigh and enter the David Jones Christmas Cave. The floats were incredible, and when Santa finally arrived after 2 hours of constant floats, dancers, marching bands and clowns there was confetti everywhere and the atmosphere was electric.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb