Day 62: Cape Bridgewater to see the seals‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Cape Bridgewater
February 9th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We had reached the end of the Great Ocean Road yesterday, but today we decided to travel a bit further west to Cape Bridgewater for the morning. On arrival we embarked upon a headland walk that took us along the cliffs to see the fur seals. However, upon reaching the viewing platform we were still about 50m above the seals (nevertheless the pics turned out ok!). The 2 hour walk had certainly blown the cobwebs out of us and we got back on the road to return to Port Fairy. After a quick lunch and a bit of Echinda hunting (no sight of him!) we drove back towards the Great Ocean Road to see the last of the lookout points: Bay of Islands, Bay of Martyrs and the Loch Ard shipwreck site. Our campsite for the night was a free campground down at Johanna beach (the back-up surf for the Rip Curl surfing contest). Here you can really feel the force of the ocean when you're on the beach!

Bailey's bit: The seal colony we saw are called 'exiles', they are males either too young or old to fight for breeding ground so reside on the headland. The bay of islands is probably what the 12 apostles were a few hundred years ago before they were weathered down, still a great sight non the less! With only a few more sights to see tomorrow on our way back to Melbourne, astonishingly we may have a day to play with, to do what we're not quite sure yet!

Daily mileage: 6 I went back to where I had turned off the track on the main road last night and continued directly into Port Fairy town. After a quick explore, (50 historical buildings) I went back to the main road putting together 5*2 minutes with 1 minute recovery in between.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb