Day 63: Koala spotting at Cape Otway


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Cape Otway
February 10th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After our night at Johanna beach, we got up early to head towards Cape Otway. To access the cape you have to drive through bouts of the national park - and that meant Eucalyptus trees and some koala spotting opportunities. Our first spot (well James's) was a koala crossing the road, it was a pretty big one and happily sniffed the mud bank with the odd look up at us to check we were stationary. A bit further down the road we saw two koalas cuddling in the tree, and then the masses appeared. Tree after tree were covered in them, big ones, small ones and ones hanging onto the tiniest branches over the road (daredevils!). Although we could have stayed there all day and loaded each and everyone into Maurice to take home, we thought we'd best started making our way back to Melbourne. We stopped at Torquay for lunch and then continued our journey to a campsite just outside Williamstown. The Great Ocean Road is a pretty spectacular coastal drive but is it the greatest coastal drive in the world? We'll let you know once we've seen the rest of the world!

Bailey's bit: I enjoyed our drive up and down the GOR, it was certainly beautiful! Torquay is the home of the brands Rip Curl and Quicksilver and there is a small shopping complex called Surf City which caters to all a surfers needs and more, we bobbed in but Cat was put off by the $100 bikinis. We had a few issues with our campsite choice, we need to be fairly close to the city to allow us to clean and drop off Maurice, and campsites near a city are somewhat limited. In the brochure we were given there was one fairly close to where we wanted to stay, however upon turning up the location wasn't ideal (right next to the highway) and miles away from any public transport, add to that the site manager was extremely rude we decided against it. We made a quick call and were directed to a site in Williamstown, this site while perfectly acceptable could probably be called a trailer park rather than caravan park!

Daily Mileage: 4 With us staying on the free campsite there was no showers and so had to wait until the evening. After all the hassle it was fairly late so ran into Williamstown and back, will explore it more tomorrow am!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb