Mount Buffalo / Lake Catani & Bright


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Bright
February 27th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lake Catani is the highest body of water in Victoria. Even from a distance of 25 meters, we sadly didn’t get to see it because of the severe fog and rain! The weather has been shocking (with heavy rain and flash floods forecast for the next few days too) and we both had to use ear plugs during the night because the rain was so loud on the roof of our van. By the morning, everything on the outside of the van was covered in mud.My poor bike – it hasn’t even been ridden yet and it already looks a bit worse for wear.

We decided not to let the weather cramp our style and went hiked up to The Horn, Mount Buffalo’s highest point at 1723 meters. The Minjambuta Aboriginals, who lived below the snowline in the warmer valleys during winter, used to come up to come up here during summer to fest on the Bogong Moths found here. We even saw some of the moths but, despite their rich nutritional value, were not tempted to try them.

The view from The Horn was sort of non-existent… we could barely see each other with the amount of cloud up there and it was funny to read the lookout plaques with nothing to reference them to :-) We also visited the nearby waterfalls but, instead of seeing them, could only here them. Bizarrely, even in these conditions, Mount Buffalo was absolutely beautiful and we definitely intend to come back… on sunnier days!

We then headed down to Bright (and were stunned by a lone cyclist making his way up the mountain… really?! what the?!). I had heard such a lot about Bright and it really is a lovely little town which would look amazingly pretty in autumn, when all the perennial trees burst with colour and shed their leaves. We managed to avoid the heavy rain as we did some exploring and shopping before heading onwards to Mount Beauty.

THE TRUTH (by Dean Glasgow)

Oh deer… I’m still waiting on my meal of venison.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb