Flight of the Eagle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Arthurs Seat
February 12th 2018
Published: February 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Arthur’s SeatArthur’s SeatArthur’s Seat

C.O. and author on Arthur’s Seat
12/2/18

Today we have a trip planned to Mornington Peninsular just over 100 km. away. The place we were making for was Arthur's Seat State Park. The aboriginal tribe (Boonwurrung) that originally inhabited the area called Arthur's Seat "Wonga" perhaps after their favoured pay day loan company or some say that it means a type of pigeon that had huge flocks there. The name "Arthur's Seat" was first used by a Captain John Murray because it reminded him of his home in Edinburgh. Arthur's Seat is an attraction now as it has a cable car system operating there named the Melbourne Eagle. We were driven to the top of the cable car and the C.O. confirmed that she was satisfied with the safety features and was happy to ride on it. The views from the top of Arthur's Seat were stunning and you could just make out Melbourne in the distance. We rode down in the cable car and it was a very smooth ride with no tense moments and with more tremendous views. We met Charlotte and Ollie at the bottom who tried and failed to race us down. It was a memorable experience to add to the others.
Arthur’s SeatArthur’s SeatArthur’s Seat

In the “Eagle”


We then drove to a winery for a good lunch with nice wines. This winery also had a sculpture park amongst the rows of vines. Some of the exhibits were quite quirky and the whole sculpture park was very well done.

After lunch we drove on down the peninsula to the small town of Flinders. On the way we passed a very nice golf course which had a roadside sign advising motorists to beware of errant golf balls attributing no blame to the golfer. The coast in this area is more rugged but very beautiful looking out to the Bass Strait. Ollie then drove us back to Melbourne and it took about two hours. We are very grateful to Ollie and Charlotte for spending so much of their time driving us to all sorts of wonderful places.

Back in the appartment it was time to stow the gear into the pods not forgetting jeans, jumpers and kagools as we are off to Tasmania (Tassie pronounced "Tazzie") in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Arthur’s SeatArthur’s Seat
Arthur’s Seat

On the way down in the “Eagle”.
Arthur’s SeatArthur’s Seat
Arthur’s Seat

View from the “Eagle”.
Near FlindersNear Flinders
Near Flinders

Sculpture amongst the vines.
FlindersFlinders
Flinders

Coast looking out to the BassvStrait


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb