From Sea to Shining Sea


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
March 12th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thanks to Irving Berlin for our title; a very appropriate one for the final, scenic part of our time in Tasmania.

From Hobart up the east coast, on to Launceston and finally back to Devonport. All of it stunning. What a contrast between the windy, bleak-looking west coast, and the sunny (but still chilly) east coast.

In Freycinet National Park we walked to Wineglass Bay on a sunny but cool day. It was fabulous, and we needed the exercise after Sharon’s birthday seafood dinner the previous night. The view of the bay was picture postcard, as was the colour of the sand and the clarity of the water when we got down to the beach.

From there we moved on to St Helens, with a quick detour into Douglas Apsley NationalPark, then out to Binalong Bay and the Bay of Fires.

Absolutely this is the most beautiful beach we have ever seen! Absolutely this is the first time we have walked the length of a beach in jackets and shoes! The beach is amazing – the sand so white, the water so aqua (appropriately enough), the crowds so non-existent.

Then, to continue our waterfalls survey, we
Bay of FiresBay of FiresBay of Fires

Note regulation beach clothing...
visited St Columbas Falls, named after an Irish saint (as you would). This is one of the highest in Tasmania at about 90 metres, and comes with interesting stories of the early settlers in the region.

One early settler woman got lost in the bush. When finally found, after having eaten nothing but stinging nettles for 9 days, she asked for a ride half way home then offered to walk the rest. Sort of makes the walk back up to the car seem a bit insignificant.

Halls Falls is also nearby, less spectacular and a bit more remote with a longer walk.

And so on to Launceston, or “Lonceston” as the locals seem to pronounce it. We travelled via Bridport, which is a quite scenic little town on the north coast with a whole string of attractive beaches nearby, and Georgetown, which is similar.

We wandered around Launceston town centre, cruised up Cataract Gorge then walked the Zig Zag track down one side of the gorge and back up the other. To have an incredibly scenic piece of country within a few kilometres of the centre of town is truly a gift that not many cities possess.

Finally we used our last day in Tassie to return to Cradle Mountain for another go. Success! The weather was perfect and we had a great walk around Dove Lake, and, the following day, along the Cradle Valley Boardwalk. Very easy going, but with a few black snakes sighted.

And so back to Devonport for what turned out to be a smooth-as-a-baby’s-bottom crossing back to Melbourne. Even Devonport looked different in the sunshine as we sat by the riverside waiting for the Spirit of Tasmania to sail into view.

What a great three weeks! Next stop southern Victoria.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cradle Mountain NPCradle Mountain NP
Cradle Mountain NP

Cradle Valley Boardwalk
Cradle Mountain NPCradle Mountain NP
Cradle Mountain NP

Cradle Valley Boardwalk
Spirit of Tasmania Spirit of Tasmania
Spirit of Tasmania

Entering Devonport


12th March 2011

Welcome back
Welcome back to the North Island - we trust you turned out the lights when you left Tasmania. Did you remember to put your watch forward 100 years as your left Devenport. This section of your trip sounds and looks like it has been a success, good training for Europe. Before we meet up in Wales we would like you to change your luck with the weather and fine some dry AND warm weather. We look forward to the next post. ChrIs & Jeanette
13th March 2011

Thanks for the tour. Had not really appreciated the beauty and diversity of Tassie before this.
15th March 2011

Good luck with the weather continues - forecast for Apollo Bay tomorrow is max 16.
15th March 2011

We also had no idea what a great place it is. Even though we had been told many times we weren't prepared for the number of great photo opportunities all so close together!
17th March 2011

More GREAT pics! WOW!
Eh Digger and Shaz, Thanks for the new great pics. About 5 years ago, I was looking in to taking a trip to Taz, and I thought that Wiineglass bay was the best attraction. My idea was to go down there and swim across the bay. Well, once again, you've saved me the trip. Funny you mention Grant. I just talked to him and sent him and email the other day. I'll probably hear from him shortly. Haha... I'd forgotten about the 'map of Tassie' analogy for the integument of the feminine mons veneris. Looking forward to the Hong Kong part of your trip. Should be interesting - you've gotta be bonkers to miss out on Honkers. I've had a few beers there, by the way. Me mate Brett owned the "Aussie Fish Cafe" on the corner of Lockhart and Luard on Wan Chai (Island). He became a squillionaire out of it - selling between 70,000 and 100,000 meals a week. AND, it was because of the quality of his fish; it all came from New Zealand. Anyway, a local business man Billionaire made him a nice offer, so Brett sold the store. I wonder if it's still there? Boy, if you come out to LA, give me a bit of lead time, and we'll arrange a couple of things. That'd be great! Apart from anything else (such as local knowledge tour guide) the beer is still only $19.99 for a 30-pack. Gotta luv that! OK, guys, thanks for the very interesting travel notes. I think it's terrific! Drink More!!! Jack!
21st March 2011

I put my probably completely misplaced faith completely with the tour guide! LA will probably be in October or November; hopefully it will fit in with your schedule as well.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb