The World Is Your Oyster


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
October 16th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well the 'big thaw' is well and truly underway- Tasmania is throwing off the blankets now that spring has finally sprung..... We are currently in Launceston where Carissa is working, having just completed a 6 week stint in Smithton, North - West Tasmania. We were spoiled by the kind hospitality of the House family who own and manage the local pharmacy, where Carissa worked while Murray was able to recoup after far too long without a break.
Smithton and the surrounding region of Circular Head are rural in nature and are particularly green due to frequent rain. Very frequent rain. Smithton is known for its timber and dairy industries. It was a pleasant change to be woken up each morning by the roosters crowing, and a fresh supply of eggs was available having the hen house next to our flat on the House property. The property is set on bushland overlooking the town lake, with plenty of wallabies wandering around. We even heard the occassional 'devil' sighting by the House's ferocious guard dog Charlie, however we were never quick enough to see one.
Having been knocked back for work at the local abbatoir (thank God - the smell was unbearable) I found work oyster farming roughly 5km out of town and loved every minute of it, even being out on the water at sunrise (just had to do a little adjusting for the early starts grumble, grumble). I had no idea oysters are so labour intensive with a rotation every 3 - 4 months before being brought onshore, cleaned, graded and returned to the water. A mature oyster would be roughly 2 years old, however they can be much older, somthing to ponder when eyeing the Kilpatrick on the menu.
Carissa worked with a great team of girls at the pharmacy and, being a small town, new a lot of the locals on a first name basis by the end of our stay.
It wasn't all work- we still managed to find time to get in some decent bike rides, and visit some of the natural attractions around the region including Mawbanna and Dip Falls. However none is more iconic than 'The Nut' at Stanley, a unique piece of topography that rises steeply from the earth, located at the end of a long penninsula perched out in the Tasman Sea. The town of Stanley is a quaint fishing village located at the base of The Nut and was the ideal place to stop for a feed and a drink having made the hike up The Nut and wandered around the scenic plateau.
Tasmania is truly living up to its catch cry of 'discover the natural state' now that summer is 'round the corner. We look forward to doing some bushwalking in the Cradle Mountain National Park, in particular the very popular Overland Track, before making our way down the East Coast towards Hobart.

Until next time Hoo Roo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



22nd October 2008

The the onus of the oyster farmacy.
Well what a wealth of experience you guys are acquiring. Carissa you will know everything there is to know about country pharmacy including the goss. and Jeremy you will know everything there is to know about being a jack of all trades and a travel writer. I am just so envious of the good time you are having and very very happy for both of you. Life is meant to be enjoyed not endured and it looks as toough you have embraced that saying with a vengenance. Take care and may God continue to bless you with wonderful sights, people and precious moments that will stay with you forever.
22nd October 2008

MMM Oysters
They look delicious
22nd October 2008

Tulips look great (and the Oysters!!)
Great update and great shots (you guys are talented!!) - thank you and I did not know oysters took that long to grow....:)

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb