The Spirit of Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Cradle Mountain
September 3rd 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

How much fun is a road trip? Yes, this is a rhetorical question. Carissa and I have just spent the last week making our way over land (and water) to the great south land - TASSIE. Having made our way down to Melbourne in plenty of time, we decided to venture a little further south to check out the Mornington Peninsula. We made our way via Mornington around the bay to Sorrento, where we biked our way through the national park to point Nepean (the Eastern point at the mouth of Port Phillip Bay). The results are in: huge surf, absolutely freezing, but all in all another spectacular part of Australia occupied by huge mansions that looked like weekender's for Melbourne's upper crust. Oh, and really good wood fire pizza.
Wandering back to Melbourne we just happened to find our way (Carissa threatened to leave me) to Bridge Road, a famous Melbourne shopping haunt in Richmond. It should be noted that I actually spent more than she did...I'm not proud of this. Having lugged the bikes all this way it was only fitting we spent the afternoon biking up and down the Yarra through the trendy Melboune CBD. We rounded out the day with some world famous linguine marinara on Lygon Street before making our way through the maddening post MCG AFL traffic to The Spirit of Tasmania, which was to whisk us across the Bass Strait to Devonport.
Unfortunately, Tasmania greeted us with rather bleak weather, not to mention the temperature had also plummeted another 5 degrees. However, nothing could distract us from the shear beauty of the 'natural state'.
We soon made way west across the top of Tasmania to Smithton, which is where Carissa and I will be working for the next six weeks. It is a relatively small primary industry town located in the North-West corner of Tasmania. We were introduced to our digs, a small self-contained unit located on the pharmacy owner's acreage approx 5km out of Smithton, and affectionately referred to as 'The Shed.'
At this point I set out to find work and was rewarded soon after with the prestigious honour of being Tasmania's newest oyster farmer. Yes, the accolades continue to roll in - what do I know about oyster farming you might ask? The answer is nothing - I start Monday so I'll be sure to keep you posted.
We have returned home briefly for the weekend to attend my sister's wedding, but on the way to Launceston airport we made a detour and visited Cradle Mountain National Park.
I could continue to throw superlatives out there to try and describe the pristine beauty of this place, but I genuinely don't think I could really do it justice. Carissa and I arrived at Dove Lake and were greeted with blue skies, not a breath of wind, and the sun was shining on the fresh snow that had fallen overnight. Cradle Mountain is usually heaving with tourists during the summer months, however as it was off season and midweek we enjoyed the relative solitude. We hiked to Marion's lookout and were rewarded with some of the most stunning natural beauty I believe Australia has to offer. I only hope the photos help convey just how extraordinary this little pocket of the world really is.
We return to Tassie in a few days where Carissa will provide an overworked pharmacist with a much needed break and my fledgling career as an oyster farmer is about to take off (well for six weeks anyway).

Until next time

Hoo Roo


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



4th September 2008

Wow!
Those shots are amazing guys! Enjoying the updates and very excited for you. Keep enjoying it. Love Camilla xx
4th September 2008

Just Gorgeous!
Hi Guys, Wow those photo's of Tasmania are just amazing. The natural beauty of the place makes you look like Ken Duncan photographers. The colours are glorious! and when you say "the cleanest air in the world" - it actually looks like it. These would be my favourite photo's yet (and your africa ones). Have a great time. We'll see you again soon. Love ya Lisa
5th September 2008

I'm here!!!
Hi Cariisa and Jeremy...I have purchased the Bicheno Pharmacy on the east coast of Tasmania....just arrived...if you are still in Tassie when you see this message,give me a call or even better come and stay with me,Boopadoop and Giggygoo!!! Mobile 0427067742 or the shop number 03 63751062 Byeee Homer
19th September 2008

WOW!!!
hey guys how you doing. i showed mom these pictures and she loves them so do i. say hi to pr. jack and miss carol. see you!!
29th September 2008

fantastic!
Keep up the good work guys - photos really are incredible - they dont do it justice hopefully we will see you soon we missed you on the weekend carissa!! xxxx
6th October 2008

Hi Dave
Thanks glad you guys liked the pics. Hope you and the gang are well. see ya jeremy

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb