Bicheno to Port Arthur


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hazads ViewHazads ViewHazads View

When we were near the Hazards the day before, I wasn't able to get a shot of the range. This view was well worth the stop on the way down south.

Day Six of Fifteen:


Scenic East Coast
Climbing hills seems to make sleeping at night a lot easier. I missed the sunrise but the light shining through the gap in the curtains told me it was going to be a nice day. Blue skies always make a holiday feel promising. We took our time getting ready to leave and was loaded up and on our way around 9:30.

We pulled out onto the Tasman Highway and drove south through Bicheno. The blue skies gave way to rain clouds as we passed a few small towns. Sorell was the first town with a population with more then 1000 people. I managed to get a distant shot of the Hazards which is the main feature on The Freycinet Peninsula. This stretch of the Tasmanian coast impressed us with the road allowing many sights of the sea. A convict-built bridge with spikes (c 1840s) was worth a stop and I got a few shots of this feature before moving on.

Arthur Highway branches off the main highway and the further south the darker the skies got. By time we started seeing Port Arthur signs, a front had moved in and the rain was
Convict BridgeConvict BridgeConvict Bridge

The inforamtion given about the reason for a bridge at this spot has not been explained.
so bad the windscreen wipers were working at high speed. Our first and, as it turned out, only tourist visit on the Tasman Peninsula for the day was the Tessellated Pavement.

We found the Port Arthur Cosy Cabin Park and booked in. Roomy accommodation, clean with a nice view out of the kitchen and lounge, it even had a computer room all looking out onto a lawn with bush behind that. Grazing rabbits added to the country feel.

When the rain looked like it was easing we decided to attempt the Remarkable Cave in the south of the Peninsula but the return of bad weather changed our minds for us. The rest of the day rain came and went but didn't clear long enough to make sight seeing possible. A simple dinner in the cabin completed our day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Convict BridgeConvict Bridge
Convict Bridge

It is unknown why these rocks were placed as they are.
Tassalated PavementTassalated Pavement
Tassalated Pavement

Not man made but nature working in the art world.


Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 87; dbt: 0.2441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb