Bicheno Overnight


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bicheno
March 7th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sleepy BaySleepy BaySleepy Bay

One of the lookouts in the area.

Day Five of Fifteen:


Wineglass Bay Walk
We slept well last night which was just as well because we were going for a walk to a lookout that overlooked Wineglass Bay. The Freycinet National Park is just 28 km south of Bicheno and is the jewel of Tasmanian's east coast.

To be honest if you're not prepared to outlay some serious cash for the many Eco Tours in the area, you have to expect to do a lot of walking before you can experience this fantastic area. Wineglass Bay Walk: Over two hours. The Hazards Beach: Over 3 hours.

Before entering the park we had to buy a National Park pass. The asking price was $20. The girl behind the desk suggested we pay $50 which would allow us entry into all the National Parks in Tasmania. Out came the credit card and a nice little green wallet with an official card with my name on it, was given back in exchange.

Down the 6 km sealed road is the starting point for a number of walks. We registered our intentions and joined the many tourists with the same destination Wineglass Bay Lookout: One hour return. It soon became apparent
Wineglass BayWineglass BayWineglass Bay

Well I got to the top, better have a shot to show something for the effort.
that this was going to be a steep walk on a well constructed track. As we gained elevation other tourists who were descending gave us reports as to what to expect, there was a lot of light hearted jokes about there being a McDonalds at the top or "Look how healthy they appear" when we had only just reached the first of the 600 steps.

We stopped many times before reaching the top. We were in admiration of a young mother who carried her baby on her back and still managed to keep ahead of us. A group had congregated at the lookout to take pictures of the view. My girlfriend and I chose to find a spot a short distance from everyone. My cameras recorded the view, then the fun started when the two of us tried to get in the same shot with the bay in the distance. Thanks to digital we finally got the shot we wanted. The walk back down to the car was quicker and easier.

We went to the local Bistro for dinner, my girlfriend had Surf & Turf while my dinner of Fish of the Day was tasty. Before going back to our
Wineglass BayWineglass BayWineglass Bay

Getting ready to take another shot.
cabin we took a last walk over the coastal rocks of Bicheno.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Wineglass BayWineglass Bay
Wineglass Bay

I took a number of images and stitched them together. I don't know who the girls were but they stayed in that spot for a while, as did everybody who climbed the 600 steps to the lookout.


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb