Howzat!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
January 6th 2007
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The following morning our road trip began.
We got the hire car delivered, but nick felt a CD was needed to entertain us all, his selection was a double CD called Australia v England, full of cheesey tracks to lighten the mood.
We were heading to a place called Coles Bay on the east coast of Tasmania.
At that moment it started to play on my mind what id let myself in for. Id left glorious sunshine for constant rain and drizzle, when we finaly got to Coles Bay the weather was even worse. We were staying in a large wooden lodge which looked across the bay.......apparently the scenery and the view was supposed to be amazing, but all i could see was mist and maybee the odd fishing boat.
So the rest of the day was spent boozing , learning to chop would for "Nicks Fire" playing poker (aggresive gambling!) and reading, wasnt as bad as i thought, as it finaly gave me some down time where i could fully recover from all the traveling. then jimmy cooked an awsome bbq to finish the day off with many many bottles of beer and wine.
I woke up the next moring praying that the weather might have picked up, and fuck did it!
I walked out on to the Decking and finaly could see what all the fuss about this place was, it was simply stunning!!
Our lodge over looked a bay which on the the other side was surrounded by mountains and trees.
On the other side of the mountains was a place called wine glass bay, which was where we were heading off to today.
Its only accesible by foot so we had an hour and a half walk in front of us, over the mountains and thru the bush.
thought i might actualy get to see some snakes, but all i got to see was a wallaby and a big ffuck off bird (kookabura).
Just as my legs were about to turn back we reached the bay.
Again i was blown away, it was like being in Lost, a real life postcard beach, the pictures dont do it justice.
Later that evening we decided to go and check out the peguins on a local beach. the days weather had turned again and it was really starting to blow a gale down there. We basicaly had to stand on this wind swept beach waiting for the little guys to decide when theyd had enough of swiming in the sea for the day.
We waited well over and hour, but it seemed like forever.
The five of them popped out of the water one by one and walked up the beach, right past me and into the bushes......oh well...it was free!

The next morning we hit the road again, this time heading south to Port Arthur (the old convicts prison).
Everytime we passed a vineyard we had to be polite and sample the local produce for free.
The next day was a similar affair as we drove back up north to the beaches where we were due to camp. Again they were stunning, it was quite strange going to sleep under the stars with the waves crashing in the background, but the romance was lost waking up next to nick.
We spent a few days in the area, doing some fishing, hitting the beaches, tho all we caught was sea weed.
My time was time was running out with the gang and it wasnt long til i found myself at the ferry port all on my todd......

My adventure was about to begin




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

waterfallwaterfall
waterfall

Also managed to see my first ssnake here, tho i didnt hang around long to pay it much attention, i never knew i could run so fast
On the deck of the LodgeOn the deck of the Lodge
On the deck of the Lodge

finaly the weather cleared up
Wine Glass BayWine Glass Bay
Wine Glass Bay

the walk was well worth it
Wine Glass Bay 2Wine Glass Bay 2
Wine Glass Bay 2

the walk was well worth it
Wine Glass Bay 3Wine Glass Bay 3
Wine Glass Bay 3

the walk was well worth it
Wine Glass Bay 4Wine Glass Bay 4
Wine Glass Bay 4

the walk was well worth it


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb