Forth River Hinterland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Wilmot
February 21st 2014
Published: February 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Forth River Hinterland

After arrival in Tas, we set up camp beside the Forth River in a very good low cost camp (Donation) at the Forth recreational Ground, adjacent to a fast flowing and beautiful River.

Our first day of exploration was a circuit up the Forth River Valley into the high country. Well, the circuit concept didn't quite work out as you will see. Suffice to say we will return later to the Forth Rec Ground before heading back to the mainland.

We drove up a secondary sealed road which was well maintained, but slowish driving to the town of Wilmot.

This little town is the birthplace of Coles Supermarkets, and the original store still stood here until three weeks ago. Sadly destroyed by fire, and I suspect wont be rebuilt, but time will tell.

This is beautiful country, and the journey made more enjoyable as we saw the novel letterboxes leading up to the town. The best which we couldn't photograph was a very fancy angel/fairy.

A little short of Wilmot there is a viewing platform looking out over to Mount Roland, a rugged craggy mountain that some apparently climb. Due to cloud we could not see Cradle Mountain which is to the right of Mt Roland by some kilometres south. We stopped and enjoyed the vista for a while and when we downloaded the photos, we could see just how fast the cloud was moving.

Like many small towns in rural areas, there is a museum covering the local history. In this instance it was located in a well restored church. There are so many attractions along these byways one has to say not this time.

From Wilmot we continued on to Moina and then twisted our way across the Forth river in the direction of Gowrie Nature Park and Sheffield. When I say twisted, I am referring to the nature of the road, not my sense of humour or a dance that our parents thought was obnoxious. One corner had a speed limit of 15k. Other than a sports car, that would be too fast. But it was a great drive down through the forest. Not much traffic, so snail pace didn't do any harm at all.

We dropped down a side road to a hydro electric power station tucked in the hills. There is a water input from high up the hills dropping down to an attractive little lake. The road is closed to the public, so one cannot get right down the valley, but it is certainly worth the look.

We noticed on our map that there is a road to 'No Where Else', so obviously one needs to have a look. When we got there, we discovered that there is nothing at No Where Else. Apparently there has never been anything at No Where Else. However, that is about to change and the council is going to create a viewing platform so you can see more clearly that there is nothing at No Where Else. Now that is impressive decision making by the rate payers representatives.

We asked at the local information bureau about the place. They asked did we find it? Tommy hadn't heard of it, but we know we passed through based on 2ks from a sign post. Apparently no-one else has really ever found it either. Apparently at some point in history the council built a road and it just ended in a paddock. Lost travellers would then ask the farmer where the road goes, and he just said 'No Where Else'. Since then, to really confuse travellers, the original road is now linked to another road making sort of a loop. This has added confusion because now we don't know at which paddock the road to No Where Else terminated.

This was such a strain on the brain we drove to Sheffield. The lady in the info centre was a gushing fountain of knowledge. A true local to boot. Her late father had been the local Doctor, and there is a great mural painted in his honour.

Sheffield is famous for its murals. Some are on buildings, others on special displays. Some are permanent, others are renewed at their Mural Competition which is held annually I believe.

One of particular interest is found as one comes into town from the south - a tribute to 'The Wall' which we hope to visit later in our journeys.

Slaters Country Store caught Marg's eye, so we stepped back in time a little into a piece of living history. We chatted to one of the staff, a young man who is the sixth generation in the business. The shop front is still original, but the building has been expanded rearward on two occasions. Grandma Slater worked the business from her elevated office until she was 93. There is a tribute to her on the back wall of the shop. Seems she still collects the cash via a working flying fox. While the business is old, the fashion was really good and service very pleasant.

We continued north to Railton, famous for its topiary trees through out the town. As it happened, we heard a clip clip noise and when we looked into the court yard, there was Sir Clipper Topiary at work maintaining one of so many exhibits he has created. He isn't the lone artisan, but claims to be the first and teacher of several others. His little shop sells Topiary kits which include many different animals.

There is a nice tidy park for motorhomes at Railton so we thought we would spend the night. However two massive goods trains and an ever increasing icy blast which shook our eyes loose dampened our enthusiasm to stay, so after dinner we headed a little further to Latrobe where we endured a rocky night more like a wild ferry crossing than living in a motorhome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

The original Coles storeThe original Coles store
The original Coles store

Burned down about 3 weeks ago.


21st February 2014

Well done
We enjoyed another great blog keep them coming we travel along too. A real Scotsman's holiday all for free!!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 30; qc: 167; dbt: 0.1258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb