Penguins and Cakes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Penguin
February 22nd 2014
Published: February 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Spirit of Tasmania 1Spirit of Tasmania 1Spirit of Tasmania 1

Alongside wharf at Devonport after a bumpy crossing. 35 - 40 knot winds
What a windy night! The motor home was tail into the wind, yet still rocked like a cork on the ocean. Our thoughts went out to Anne and Jim who were crossing on the ferry overnight with the same gale blowing. So we got up early to go and greet them and give them a cuppa while they regained their land legs. Our concerns were well founded with Jim saying that the trip had made him rather off! He didn't help the Tasmanian economy by feeding the fishes, and his inability to consume some of the worlds best food further after the sailing further affected the local economy.

Once they were on their way we did a coastal loop which included food, more food and even more food. Yep, we did all that eating for under $20.00 for two. Scotty would have been proud!

Our first stop was to be Penguin. Surprisingly, the town features Penguins as its local distinctive. Once again there is a major discrepancy between the concrete and the fairy penguins that would be found along this coast. I'm thinking 10 times enlarged! Any way, this is a very nice little town and RV friendly as well as people friendly.

The town provides a little free overnight camp on the waterfront so we stuck our nose in to see what it is like. Other than the railway on one boundary, the outlook is excellent - if you can grab a spot.

We went to the other end of town where there is a grassy day park area and enjoyed the view along the coast. The bay was somewhat sheltered from the westerly winds, so was quite calm.

The town is quaint with many older buildings well maintained. There are a couple of very well preserved churches which take a great picture.

The first food stop was the Penguin Bakery. Naturally you would expect to find Penguin Biscuits in such an establishment, and sure enough you had the choice of three different eye colours on the iced shortbread based biscuit. Only $2.00! We also bought some pizza bread and rhubarb crumble for the evening meal. $10.50 the lot!

Next stop was Ulverstone where we stopped beside the river for lunch before having a look around. Again mostly older buildings, but a really neat clean main street.

We didn't spend much time here because just out of town a little is a famous strawberry farm. Pick your own or buy their packaged 1st grade fruit. We opted for a half kilo of pre picked for $4.50. The Pick Your Own strawberries are grown in elevated troughs. I don't think they were hydroponic, but rather growing in well irrigated solid beds. The elevation made picking easy for anyone as the fruit tended to drape down the sides of the troughs.

The only important test is the Taste Test. Certainly these were more tasty than the Qld supermarket berries, and a little softer in texture.

Close to the entrance to the Strawberry Farm is a signpost to Turners Beach. Being nosy we decided to have a look. Initially one would say ho-hum, but at the far end of town is Gable point. There you say wow! The setting is just so tranquil and quiet.

We adjusted our road selection a little to go past The Don River Railway. This is an excellent railway museum and restoration work shop. train rides on the hour as well. We didn't pay the $15.00 each to go in because we have plans for a much more unique railway fix later in our journey. That said, the locos and carriages are beautifully maintained and would put most similar projects to shame.

To finish our days journey we went to a Cheese Factory a little east of Latrobe. A number of people had said 'You must visit Ashgrove Cheese. The factory is beautifully adorned with painted cows, some artistic, others educational. Did you know that cows have 4 legs, 4 teats and lie down 5 times a day. Riveting information to those that only know of cartoned milk. It kind of reminds me of a question submitted to a science program on NZ TV some years ago - 'How does a brown cow eat green grass and make white milk?

The cheese tasting was generous so we were able to taste and compare the 10 or so varieties of cheese they make. Their smoked cheese I thought was outstanding, and Marg loved the Wasabi cheese. We bought a block of each for $4.00. Bargain. Yes it was short dated but will be consumed on crackers before passing the UBD. Overall - we still think the ABC cheese factory at Tilba Tilba NSW is tops for cheese.

We returned to Latrobe for the evening taking a little time to walk down the main street. These little towns are kind of quaint, and make a pleasant stop over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Penguin Wind millPenguin Wind mill
Penguin Wind mill

Erected by Dutch community to celebrate 100 years


23rd February 2014

penguins?
as always w---jakiionderful photos

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb