Lake Pedder trailer / kayak test trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Western Arthurs
November 10th 2017
Published: May 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

One of our first trailer testing weekends involved a trip to the fabulous Lake Pedder.

There were a few minor issues in getting underway and the bus found it heavy going when ascending steep hills but otherwise it was a good (albeit slow) trip.

The weather forecast was almost perfect (low to mid 20's and slight winds) and we had expectations of some paddling opportunities.

Lake Pedder (including the canal that links it to Lake Gordon) is Australia's largest freshwater lake. Our two kayak trips, however, only allowed us to cover a very small corner of Pedder!

Of course, we also found time to visit and walk across the Gordon Dam, one of Tasmania's highest dams plus visit the Serpentine Dam, which provides the spillway for the two lakes.

The ex-Hydro town of Strathgordon now has the Pedder Wilderness Lodge which is open for meals and also provides accommodation. We had a meal there on Saturday night and watched the parrots feeding.

The entire South West area of Tasmania is quite special and well worth a visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb