WILD TASMANIA...The Tarkine...Tasmanian Tiger Country


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » The Tarkine
November 21st 2014
Published: November 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

WILD TASMANIA...The Tarkine...Tasmanian Tiger Country. Often called Tasmania's Last Wild Wilderness, the Tarkine is the place of legends. Some of the oldest forests in the World...said to contain the oldest trees. This is the land of the dreamtime...dreams so old they inhabit the trees. A place of unique ecosystems...ending in a place signposted as "The Edge of the World". And in an ancient f... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

















THE EDGE OF THE WORLDTHE EDGE OF THE WORLD
THE EDGE OF THE WORLD

Yep...it exists. Heading that way shortly. Who said the world was round?



20th November 2014

Silence can be deafening then you adjust
Savage River - the name sends chills down your spine & then you arrive & it's solitude, it's sense of ancientness, it's harmony suckers you in...a magical night...etched forever
21st November 2014

Silence can be deafening then you adjust
Well said my love. Some places have a unique ambience. This was such a place.
21st November 2014

Fact Check.
Happy to give this blog the all-clear. Seems largely based on a true story. Though I have to wonder why you didn't leave the camper parked in that primo spot (lest someone else claim it from you) and hike the 11kms back to the hatted chef for dinner. One might even question the validity of your claims to English ancestry for not doing so!
21st November 2014

Fact Check.
Wow. You're sleuthing skills are not good Jason...they are fantastic. I admit it. You've caught me out. We didn't cook salmon over the fire...it was trout!!! Thought I could slip it past you. You of course perceived we would have hiked to the hatted chef -v- salmon...but fresh rainbow trout...No Way!
21st November 2014

Touring Tassie
Looks like you are having a great adventure. Our 6 weeks there earlier this year went in a flash. We didn't go far into the Tarkine - ran out of time. It was wildly wet as we passed Zeehan! We loved the forests and huge variety of fungi, moss and lichens that abound.
21st November 2014

Touring Tassie
Nice to hear from the perennial Aussie tourers MargAndRob. This is the first TB blog on the Tarkine so kinda had to post it. Fortunately we had fabulous weather for our whole month in Tassie. Did you perchance reach the Edge of the World? Yep. It exists. Who said the world was round?
21st November 2014

The end of the world
No, I wish I had. The most unusual place we found in Tasmania was No Where Else. Did you find that place? When we got there, we had to work out if we had actually arrived. We have been told that there is going to be a viewing platform built so you can see No Where Else, but based on our research, the mystery will continue until The End Of The World.
21st November 2014

The edge of the world
We have been to the End of the world...that's Timbuktu. Now we have been to the Edge of the world...that's in the Tarkine (more of that in a later blog). But we haven't been to No Where Else...what a hoot. You guys take the cake for finding that place!
21st November 2014

Silence--my favorite sound!
Sleeping at the Edge of the World indeed. Thank goodness the world is round because I've been to so many Edges of the World--Tierra del Fuego, Alaska, Midway Island and Finesteras (End of Earth) in France, Spain, Portugal. Never heard of the Tasmanian Tiger, but the Tasmanian Devil is known by all Americans of a certain age from Road Runner Saturday morning cartoons. Hope you encounter one of them--I'd love your photo!
22nd November 2014

Silence--my favorite sound!
Been trying to remember true silence Tara. I think I prefer near silence...like the whispering of wind through trees...a night on a river punctuated with the call of a bird...of sand skidding across sand. Maybe something for us to ponder when we meet.
22nd November 2014

The Thylacine Theme
Great theme to the blog entry Dancing Dave!!! An ode to the mighty-jawed marsupial that once was (or still is)... I spent some time in Tiger country back '99 and I did not see any signs of this wonderful marsupial either but I remained optimistic during my hikes in the Nat Parks down there. Maybe, hopefully, just possibly, they are still around somewhere? Thanks for keeping the Thylacine alive in your blogs... Dave (and Theresa)
22nd November 2014

The Thylacine Theme
Delighted to hear from the Cranster. Glad you caught the vibe...plenty of optimism in this humble dancer. Isn't it great to hike in Tassie NPs with "Maybe, hopefully, just possibly, they are still around somewhere". Their name is so prehistoric...a carnivore marsupial tiger...decimated by sheep farmers...boy oh boy I hope there are some still out there somewhere!
23rd November 2014

The sounds of silence
I'm glad the red car only came for a swim. The eyes were watching....and no way you could leave those berries, brie and salmon behind. Visiting the edge of the world is always magic.
24th November 2014

The sounds of silence
And we did have Simon & Garfunkel tracks as well MJ. I think they were 'Mrs Robinson' & 'Love Me like a Rock'.
24th November 2014

Tasmanian Tigers
Tasmania doesn't fail to surprise. What a surprise a thylacine would've been though! Beautiful photos, as always.
24th November 2014

Tasmanian Tigers
One can always hope Rachael. That such a unique animal was reportedly extinct after such a short period of European occupation is a tragedy. One hopes that nature has kept some of the gene pool intact. What better place than in the Takine?
20th July 2015
TASMANIAN TIGERS

Use of pHOTO
Hi there I am seeking permission to use a photo of a Tas Tiger on your web site. I have written a story to use in schools and would like to post it on the greening Australia web site. Cheers NEl

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb