Wineglass Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Tasman Peninsula
February 8th 2012
Published: February 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With the help of our new “Camps” book, we had found ourselves a lovely free spot at River & Rocks Campground. It was chockablock with other friendly campers and as natural as you can get – complete with stinky long drop toilet! Seriously, though, it had a great atmosphere and we got chatting to some lovely people.

After we had our home-cooked gourmet pasta dinner, it rained through the night and we awoke to a just as wet morning. Ha, I knew those gumboots would come in handy for soggy campsites!

After breakfast, we drove to Freycinet National Park and managed to catch a good break in the rain when did the hike up to the Wineglass Bay lookout. It was certainly a steep climb, that’s for sure, but totally worth it when we got a lovely view of the white sheltered strip of beach.

Whereas the West Coast of Tasmania is rough and rugged wilderness, the East Coast is populated with quaint little towns and pristine beaches. We look forward to seeing more of those beaches as we head back North to catch our ferry in 4 days.

We drove on St Helens, stopping at Bicheno beach to have our lunch. St Helens is one of the larger towns we have come across. It was first established as a whaling town and is now home to Tasmania’s largest fishing fleet.

In the evening, we treated ourselves to dinner at the local family-run Italian restaurant. Very nice!

THE TRUTH (by Dean Glasgow)

When you cheat at scrabble…. you lose! Not looking at anyone, Jackie Whyte!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb