West Coast Christmas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Strahan
December 23rd 2016
Published: April 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Frenchmans's Cap, TasmaniaFrenchmans's Cap, TasmaniaFrenchmans's Cap, Tasmania

Frenchmans's Cap, Tasmania
We had a really fabulous Christmas break travelling over to the West Coast. We spent our days walking, watching the sunset, and visiting Hydro dams. Very peaceful and relaxing.

It's a special place, the West Coast of Tasmania and the people are a special group too; very resilient and capable.

Of course, it cops a fair amount of criticism for the weather (lots of rain) but when you get a patch of good weather, there is hardly a place where you would prefer to be.

Our first night was a bush camp near Derwent Bridge. From there, we drove ever closer to Queenstown, but this time with a difference. Previously, it has always been a rush getting from one place to another. This time was different - no rush. So we stopped and did all the walks and looked at all the waterfalls and rivers. We walked up to a lookout and checked out Frenchmans Cap, a mountain in the SW with lots of quartz. It was almost a full day to drive from Derwent bridge to Queenie but we did stop for everything!

We couldn't find a place to camp at Queenie so we drove on
Sunset at Ocean Beach StrahanSunset at Ocean Beach StrahanSunset at Ocean Beach Strahan

Sunset at Ocean Beach Strahan
to Strahan and out to the carpark at Ocean Beach. Others had the same idea and we camped with other like minded folk.

The next day was Christmas Eve and we had planned to join the cruise to the Gordon River.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Lake Mackintosh near TullahLake Mackintosh near Tullah
Lake Mackintosh near Tullah

Lake Mackintosh near Tullah
Mackintosh Dam near TullahMackintosh Dam near Tullah
Mackintosh Dam near Tullah

Mackintosh Dam near Tullah. Mount Farrell in the background.


Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.2231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb