Tasmania day 3 and 4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Sheffield
February 9th 2015
Published: February 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we rode 56 miles from Penguin to Sheffield. Oh what a day! Hills, hills and more hills, relentlaess. We all got in like zombies with jelly legs. The mileage must se like chicken feed but it was up and down over several vallys and one hard piece, of perhaps 5k, on a dirt road. We rode down into Gunns Plains with a brief tail wind along a beautiful new piece of Tarmac, to visit the Wings Wildlife Park for a look around and lunch before the pain set in. We saw many species peculiar to the antipodes such as the Tasmanian Devil, koalas, wombats, wallabies and kangaroos etc. A very good park. Luckily it was a nice warm day at over 30 degrees in the shade but it took a lot of drinking water, which meant that we had to knock on a kind lady's door for water replenishment. Also we were not carrying enough food and had to ration supplies to enable a finish. At one point I was laid horizontal at the side of the road in a state of disorder eating a snicker bar when a passing cyclist enquires if I was still comatose. I eventually arrived at the Motor Inn at 5.15 and saw a donut on the counter as I booked in. It never touched the sides. The rooms are nice and cosy and the beds are heaven.
The following day we were blessed with a day off and went on the prearranged coach trip to Cradle Mountain. It was a cooler day at just over 20 degrees and had a good time, although we did not see any of the large wild animas such wallabys and wombats. Bill and I walked back from Dove Lake along the boardwalks and visited the Waldheim cabin, which was interesting before getting back to Sheffield for a quick look around before the shops closed. We are looking forward to moving on tomorrow to Deloraine around the back of Mount Roland, which will include se climbing again. Are there any flat roads in Tasmania?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement






Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb