Port Arthur - No Longer Punishing


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Port Arthur
October 8th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Prisoner's Only ViewThe Prisoner's Only ViewThe Prisoner's Only View

The bars and hand-carved stones bring you back in time to the convict era.
We spent our last few days in Tasmania centred in Hobart. Saturday’s Salamanca Markets lured us for most of the day where we made a few good purchases, and served as a good day of relaxation.

Sunday was spent exploring the ruins of Port Arthur - Australia’s most renowned penal colony. We learned all about Australia’s convict past and the Port Arthur site in particular.

With the aim of humanization and rehabilitation, the prison began as a logging camp in 1830 and developed into an industrial manufacturing prison over the following decades. Prisoners were sent to work - those who worked well rose in the ranks and were able to work as tradesmen in the bakery, kitchen, woodshop, metalshop etc. Prisoners who weren’t well behaved worked on the chain gangs doing manual labour by clearing trees or mining coal. The sleeping areas for the men were unbelievably small - only 1.3m by 2.4m - just long enough to sleep in - and were occupied by two men each!

As the site developed, it included an asylum for the mentally ill who were housed and managed separately from the other criminals in the hope of helping and healing them.
1800s Extension1800s Extension1800s Extension

You can see the extension that was added on to the main penitentiary building in the mid 1800s.
A “separate prison” was created for repeat offenders who were housed individually in silence, stripped of all individualism and known only by numbers. The site operated as a prison until 1877 when the last convict was transferred out.

Most of the buildings at Port Arthur were gutted through a series of bushfires in the 1890s. What remains is largely the result of restoration after the fires. The architecture was impressive considering the convicts made and fired their own bricks, and built the buildings themselves - including the church for the free settlers in the area.

Overall, this has been a tremendous holiday. We got to see two very diverse environments and hope to use our final term here to explore more areas nearby. Also, we were able to explore nearly 90 km of Australia's wilderness by bushwalking across plateaus, up and down mountains and through valleys. It's now time to go back to work ... and relax.

Down the road...
During our last two months in Australia we plan on seeing the Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains, going dolphin watching in Port Stephens, visiting the Hunter Valley and enjoying the local beaches. On our way back
The Penetentiary RuinsThe Penetentiary RuinsThe Penetentiary Ruins

We were lucky to arrive during the off season on a partly rainy day ... tour groups were sparse (and yet were able to stand in the middle of the best shots).
to Toronto in December we will spend 2 weeks touring the South Island of New Zealand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Penitentiary & HospitalPenitentiary & Hospital
Penitentiary & Hospital

The ramains of the Port Arthur main penitentiary with the hospital on the hill behind.
Picturesque spotPicturesque spot
Picturesque spot

Port Arthur is a very picturesque spot for a penal colony.
Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

More of the ruins.
The main PenetentiaryThe main Penetentiary
The main Penetentiary

This building was first constructed as a flour mill.
The Penitentiary ...The Penitentiary ...
The Penitentiary ...

... with the hospital ruins in the background.
Tiny CellsTiny Cells
Tiny Cells

Two inmates would sleep in this small area.
Feedom!Feedom!
Feedom!

Looking out through the bars of the prison to the blue sky beyond.
WatchtowerWatchtower
Watchtower

The guards watched all the inmates from these towers.
WatchtowerWatchtower
Watchtower

These towers survived the bushfires and continue to stand watch over the remains of Port Arthur.
More ruinsMore ruins
More ruins

The pauper's mess in the foreground with the asylum and separate prisons in the background.
ChurchChurch
Church

The Port Arthur church. Built by convicts for the free settlers (officers and administrators).
Port Arthur ChurchPort Arthur Church
Port Arthur Church

The church entrance.
Impressive ArchitectureImpressive Architecture
Impressive Architecture

The church's architecture was particularly impressive with arched doorways and windows.
Spring BloomsSpring Blooms
Spring Blooms

The blooms of this apple tree reminded us that October is springtime in Australia!
Port Arthur PanoramaPort Arthur Panorama
Port Arthur Panorama

The ruins of Port Arthur.


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 28; qc: 148; dbt: 0.1783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb