Honk honkkkkk Tasmania here we come xxx


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
January 9th 2014
Published: January 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We decided to head to Tasmania with Rob and Hayley for 2 nights so on the Sunday we went and booked some flights so we could join them. The flights were booked pretty easily although we are struggling with wifi out here, it doesn't seem a popular thing to use out here which is why my updates aren't as often as they should be (sorry guys!) we had an early morning on the 18th Marcia and Ken dropped us at the airport for our flight with Rob and Hayley not even knowing of we were going to turn up as we couldn't let them know if we'd booked the tickets or not! We met at the airport though and it was really good to see them as hadn't seen them since our 2nd night in Bangkok! The plan for the 3 days was to hire a car and drive down the East Coast starting in Luanceston finishing in Hobart. The first obstacle we had to try and over come though was that we had all forgotten driving licenses (well everyone with a license!) We got on the plane, which was an hour or so delayed, and basically just thought we would try our luck. As soon as we landed we queued up at the car desk and were told point blank we wouldn't be able to hire a car even though Hayley and Rob had pictures of their licenses it didn't matter. We tried a few companies but they all said no, just what we didn't want to hear!! Me and Hayley started asking drivers outside if they knew garages that we could even buy an old banger from or if anyone wasn't so legite lol but nothing. The boys walked off though away from the airport and next thing they've driven up in a car for the weekend with our great mate mark! Now Mark saved our weekend he worked for Hertz and was happy to help us out with getting a car, all I can say is THANK YOU MARK!! It was perfect a 4 door car with lots of space for all our stuff so we were very happy! We started off on our journey and were planning to get to Bays of Fire and set off with the whole day ahead of us, unfortunately we got completely lost and literally drove around in a circle for 3 hours!! The boys found it hilarious deciding to take turns here and there whenever they thought it was a good idea, we nearly even got mowed down by a big monster truck that didn't appreciate our u turn lol. Us girls weren't as impressed as you can imagine so we ended up back in Hertz where we got the car renting a sat nav!! By the time we got back there it was too late to head to Bays if fire so we headed to another area called Wine Glass Bay. We had to stop off for a night first though and Hayley and Rob who are big sporty goers planned to take us on a trek up a big mountain called amount Amos. Now, Brad thought it was a great idea to encourage us all to do the 'difficult' climb, as you can imagine I wasn't best pleased at the climb as it is so having to do one that was even harder wasn't going down well I didn't even have proper footwear, I had to wear my nice new blazers my brother got me lol. We started this trek and had to follow orange arrows all the way which yes, we kept losing!! Now, I can't even explain to you how difficult this climb was, it wasn't some planned footpath that we all thought it was going to be, we were literally climbing up rocks pulling ourselves up with our arms, planning where we had to carefully out our feet it was exhausting!!! And very scary I have to admit. Everyone was great though helping each other out, OK, helping me out lol we made it to the top though and the view was breath taking, like something you see on a postcard or on a TV programme, I can definitely say it was worth it, well I can say that now anyway maybe not at the time which I think a Hay, Rob and Brad can confirm! We got some great pictures though which will definitely be making the hall of fame. Getting down was just as bad it was pretty slippery and I fell a couple of times, I think I went down in my bum more than walking down!! Once down though it was the biggest relief and achievement! The next task though was trying to find somewhere to stay and to eat dinner!! We looked around for some campsites and restaurants and by the time we got round to doing this it was about 7pm not too late you'd think.....well it was in Tasmania!! All restaurants were shut we literally had to eat crisps and chocolate for dinner after a massive trek which wasn't great!! We weren't having much luck in finding somewhere to stay either with a hotel being 1,500 AUD!!! We ended up finding a cabin to stay in though. Rob found it and when booking had said it was for 2 people so when we all went round together the lady saw there was 4 of us so straight away asked if we were all staying as it would have been more expensive so Hay was straight in there and said her and Rob were camping. The lady was onto us though, she asked where none of us knew what to say so just had to blah it saying they were going to find somewhere. To make it even more obvious Rob was paying on his card for me and Brad for a room lol. She blatantly knew but we got away with it and when we got to the cabin it was massive. We had a kitchen and a room each it was just what we needed! We chilled out watched some TV with our crisps and chocolate and had an early night. We made the most of the kitchen and had a fry up for breakfast, it was just what we needed and set us up for the day ahead!

Day 2 we headed to Wine glass Bay, now after the trek we were ready to chill out but we had to walk about an hour to get to this beach. It took ages but once we got there it was amazing!!! I can safely say it was the most stunning beach we have ever seen, like something off of a film. It was practically empty because the only way to get there was the walk so not many people went. The sea was clear and the sand was golden, we were in heaven!! Us girls had a nice sunbathing session and the boys went for a run and explore down the beach, it was worth the walk there, most definitely!! The sea was freezing though, like ice!! The boys braved it but we just stayed on the beach in the sun! It was hard to leave such a beautiful beach especially knowing we had to trek back haha. We had to leave though as we had to drive to our next destination which was Port Arthur. We stopped along the way and traditional fish and chips in a sea side resort which was delicious! We got there early evening and pulled another scam and booked a room for 2 for 4 of us lol (meaning it was cheaper for us ha) we planned to go penguin watching that night as by 11pm you can see the penguins getting out the sea and heading to land. We were given torches with a red piece of plastic over it as the bright light is bad for their eyes. Once down there we got lucky, we were down there for 20 minutes and started to see them come out the sea. It was so much fun I loved it!!! My quite was that I felt like a private investigator which Rob and Hay found pretty funny. It was great though chasing the penguins along the beach trying to catch them in the cameras. Although Brad and Hay were baddies, they used the flash on the camera and the poor little penguins ran away!!! It did mean we got to see them come back but I felt sorry for them. It was a great night though we loved every minute of it, something we won't forget. We were shattered by the time we got back, we went to bed ready for our last day.

Day 3 was our last day in Tasmania and we had to drive our last stint to Hobart where we were flying back to Melbourne from. We did a last final walk to a place called Russell Falls but it wasn't really a trek and the waterfalls were beautiful, we managed to get some great pictures and got to see a wild snake in the flesh! It definitely freaked Brad out but was pretty cool to actually see one! Once in Hobart it felt like we were back in the world of the living again where there were actually restaurants, bars and shops!! Unlike Launceston where we were on our first night! It felt like we were amongst humans again lol. We had a good lunch too (as you can tell we are a lot as well as lots of goodies for the road trip)! That was the end of the trip really but it was an amazing few days and we were so glad we decided to join Hay and Rob we had so much fun with them, we even got a real trucker to pull his chain and honk his horn at us, a highlight of the trip lol. The road trip was just as much fun as everything we did lots of talking, listening to music and pod casts of Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Carl Pilkington which had us in hysterics. I can definitely say for me and Brad it was a trip we will never forget and can definitely thank Hayley and Rob for great company and a lot of fun.
Love B&K xxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb