Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Cradle Mountain
February 16th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Dove Lake carparkDove Lake carparkDove Lake carpark

An early start. We decided not to do the standard 2 hour circuit of the lake. Instead we misread the sign (one way timings, not round trip) and figured we'd climb to Marions Lookout.
Geo: -41.6504, 145.957

A pre-breakfast walk to Marion's Lookout above Dove and Crater Lakes turned into a bigger expedition than we thought. It was 90 minutes each way, not for the round trip and the walk included lots of steps and a short section where a chain handrail was needed to pull yourself up. Still, we had memorable views of Lille Lake, Wombat Pool and Crater Lake before making it to the lookout and overseeing them all. The weather changed when we were at the lookout and in a few minutes the fog and clouds eliminated the views.

Happily, my knees did not cause me trouble - either on the hike or at golf where motorised carts were not available. I'd spent the last few weeks going to physio twice a week and it obviously helped.

We were not greatly impressed by our stay at Pepper's Cradle Mtn Lodge. We had a look at the half-priced competition, Cradle Mtn Hotel and it looked fine too. We had a good dinner at the hotel on the second night and decided that the hotel provided better value for money. If we return, we'll stay at the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Nearing the LookoutNearing the Lookout
Nearing the Lookout

Dove Lake to the right, with the carpark visible just past the far end of the Lake. Lake Lille to the left.
Steep sectionSteep section
Steep section

The track was mostly on timber boardwalks but there were rocky outcrops to be navigated, this one needing a chain handrail to pull yourself up.
Enchanted Walk Enchanted Walk
Enchanted Walk

A 20min easy walk right beside our lodge.
Knyvet FallsKnyvet Falls
Knyvet Falls

Another short (35min) walk from the lodge.
Lots of wombats!Lots of wombats!
Lots of wombats!

Plenty of common variety wombats around. Unconcerned by humans, as you can see. They mostly came out in late afternoon. Also varieties of wallaby - quolls, paddymelons, and other various small hoppers. One visited our back deck (at Cabin 94) regularly.


15th March 2015

Both this one of you and following one of Robyn show delightful scenery for walking amongst - heavenly
15th March 2015

My goodness, no wonder they say they are as solid as a brick s..t house. Certainly wouldnt want to hit him on a dark road

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb