Barnbougle Dunes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bridport
February 15th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

ArrivalArrivalArrival

Mick, Phil, Steve, Bill and Grant (left to right).
Geo: -41.003, 147.394

After a second night in Launceston we drove the 90 minutes north-east to Bridport and prepared for our Sat 1:30pm tee off at Lost Farm Golf Course.

This course is part of the Barnbougle complex. After the surprising success of the Barnbougle Dunes development (the course is regularly rated in the top 50 of the world) the owners built this second course adjacent to the first, with larger and more upscale facilities. It also ranks highly as a golf course.

It was raining hard when our tee time came around. After much grumbling from the majority of us dry-weather golfers, we hit off in driving rain and proceeded to get drenched. The rain did ease somewhat to showers after about an hour but by then we were having trouble holding on to our clubs. Regretfully, we decided to quit after nine holes after noting that the course was challenging and in very good shape.

Had a fine pub dinner at the Bridport Hotel and returned to the Barnbougle cottages accommodation for more drinking and poker.

In the morning we had a 9:30am tee time at Barnbougle. Although there was some consternation at the light rain when we teed off, it quickly dissipated and we were left to play in dry, but very windy weather. We were given a discount on the normal $110 green fees because the greens were recovering from a fungus and were pretty rough. This plus the strong winds did detract from the event.

We had little time after our game to drive back to Launceston and catch the flight back to Brisbane. Bill, Mick and I stayed on to be joined by our wives for a tourist add-on to our holiday.

The wrap-up was a handsome win by the Sgts Mess, with prizes given to the daily winners and to the overall winner, me!

I met Robyn at the Launceston airport (she'd arrived earlier and picked up the hire car) and we drove 2hr to Cradle Mtn.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb